Sunday, October 17, 2010

Slow-Cooker Chicken Soft Tacos, Babies, and a Lost But Not Found Item

Remember my Zumbathon from yesterday?  Here's another pic!  Look in the front of the stage.  There are 4 people in front.  I am all the 3rd one on the right.  I have the craziest tan lines from yesterday! 

So... today I spent the better part of an hour turning the house upside down looking for my Macro Lens for my camera.  A Macro lens is the lens that lets you take a super-detailed picture of something (i.e. food) and let the background be completely blurred out.  I LOVE my Macro Lens.  And I JUST GOT IT.  Don't you HATE when you lose something you JUST BOUGHT???  But I cannot find it ANYWHERE.  I just used it yesterday!  I mean, I even pulled out the last bag of trash we took out and went through the trash.  I don't mean I glanced in the trash bag.  I picked through EVERY little item.  Remember that chicken I cooked last night?  I picked up those bones with my own hands.  Found some interesting things... but not my lens.  So... here's hoping it shows up on its own over the next few days.  Debbie L., if you are reading this, I am going to be trying your advice tonight on finding lost items.  I'll report back to you on Tuesday.

Other than my lost lens, it was a great day.  I started the morning with a fried egg, toast, and tomato slices.  Gosh, I love fried eggs.  Nothing better than runny yellow yolk! 

Oh, and check out this wonderful purchase I made at the store yesterday...


Now I can have pumpkin spice coffee whenever I want!  It's not as good as Starbucks, but still pretty darn good.  I love when all the fall and winter flavors come out.  I am waiting on Peppermint Mocha creamer to appear in the stores... That is the BEST!

We had a great morning at church and Sunday School, and we even had a lunch out at Panera.  (Sorry-- no pics of that... it was completely spontaneous, and I didn't have my camera!)

Then I went to my second baby shower of the weekend to help my friends Meredith and Jamie celebrate their new baby girl who will be coming in January!  We were all making guesses on the arrival date.  I guessed January 17.   Meredith is due January 10, but she's so relaxed that I think that baby will be happy just staying in there for an extra week!  That's exactly what Sadie did!  It was fun spending time with friends and celebrating!

Then I came home to another crock pot meal: Slow-Cooker Chicken Soft Tacos.  This is one that is great any time of the year, and you can make all sorts of variations to it.  You can't mess this one up.  I used chicken tenderloins because I had them on hand, but you can also use a pork roast or a beef roast as the meat.

I also want to give a shout-out about these tortillas, made by La Banderita.  They are made from whole wheat flour and have only 81 calories each, 2 grams of fat, and 6 grams of fiber... which adds up to only 1 point!  They are soft and tasty.  There are a lot of La Banderita tortillas, so you have to check all the labels, but these say "Low Carb, Low Fat" on the package.

Slow Cooker Chicken Soft Tacos

Ingredients:
Tortillas
5 frozen chicken tenderloins (yes, I said frozen.) or 3 frozen chicken breasts
2 cans diced tomatoes (I like the flavored ones.  I used one with mild chiles and one that had fire roasted tomatoes)
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup of frozen corn
2 tsp taco seasoning
1-2 tsp Frank's Cayenne Pepper Sauce (or other hot sauce)
(Optional) shredded lettuce, light sour cream, diced fresh tomatoes (for topping)

Put frozen chicken on bottom of crock pot.  In a bowl, mix tomatoes, beans, corn, taco seasoning, and hot sauce.  Pour over chicken.  Cook on low 6-8 hours, until chicken is cooked through.  Then, pull chicken out, shred it with 2 forks, and put it back in the crock pot mixture.  Turn off crock pot.  Allow chicken to warm back up.  Then serve on tortillas, covered with lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, and more hot sauce if you like!  Ole!



If you decide to use a larger cut of meat, like a roast, then make sure you thaw it first.  The chicken could go in frozen because it was a smaller cut of meat and I wanted it to take longer to cook. 

Tomorrow I am looking forward to catching up with some wonderful literacy coaches and talking about a wonderful book!  (That reminds me... I need to make a little breakfast treat for our meeting tomorrow.  Can you guess what I will be making???)

2 comments:

  1. I hope you find your macro lens!! What a bummer...I'm sure it will turn up!
    Mitchell lost his DS right before/after/during our move last November. Got another one for Christmas (with a note from Santa basically saying the only reason he got a new one is b/c the old one could've ended up in a moving box at the dump! LOL). The old DS turned up TWO WEEKS ago (inside a playdoh box). Don't give up hope! :D
    Your chicken tacos look delish!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!