Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Joy Cupcakes... Thanks to The Lunchbox Project!

Yesterday, I was catching up on some of the blogs that I follow.  I always get great ideas when I read other people's blogs.  Don't you?  Well, when I read the latest post on The Lunch Box Project by Lisa Orgler, I just knew I HAD to try making JOY Cupcakes.

There is just something so fun and whimsical and, well, joyful about a cupcake.  I love anything that is individually packaged.  How can you not love cake that's individually portioned?  Cupcakes are becoming an art form.  Gourmet cupcake shops are opening everywhere.  I have two friends who make amazing cupcakes all the time who will totally put me to shame on my feeble attempt today!  (There's a shout-out, Angie and Jenn!)

Of course, I have a two year old, so I have made my share of cupcakes.  But these Joy Cupcakes just seemed like a new twist on the old favorite. 

Thank you, Lisa, for the idea!  It came at the perfect time, because tonight we were celebrating my father-in-law's birthday.  It gave me an excuse to make these!

I started with a box of red velvet cupcake mix.  I prepared it according to the directions, using cupcake liners.  (I did this about 10 p.m. last night.)  Then I prepared a bowl of chocolate instant pudding, again, according to the directions.  Nothing fancy.  Then I put the pudding in the fridge and let the cupcakes cool on the counter.  (And then I went to bed!)

Today, when I got home from work, I scooped out the middle of each cupcake.  You are only scooping out a hold big enough for about a tablespoon (maybe less) of filling.  (And I am not gonna lie, I saved the scoop-outs for my husband who is a cake addict-- especially red velvet!)  And then I filled the holes with chocolate pudding!  Yummmmm...



Then came the messy part.  I scooped cream cheese icing out of the container and into a plastic baggie, snipped off the corner, and tried to delicately swirl the icing.  This worked for about 2 cupcakes.  Then the bag split.  So I had to scoop the icing out of the broken baggie and into a new baggie.  Not an easy task.  I am going to spare you the gory details, but I went through 5 baggies.  I guess this is one instance when generic baggies aren't as good as the name brands!  Or maybe I should have used heavy-duty freezer bags.  But I didn't have any.  Oh well. 


By that time, my little baking helper was home from preschool, so she helped me put the red sprinkles on top, just for a little added touch of color.


These Joy Cupcakes were enJOYed by all and I will definitely make them again!  The chocolate pudding surprise was especially appreciated by the kids!





On a different note, my grandfather got to go on his Washington, D.C. trip today!  He met the group at the airport this morning.  They had a local high school band playing and had the local news there.  He was very excited!  My mom took a few photos this morning that she shared, so I will post a few here!  I can't wait to see more pictures and hear about the trip!




We also had a playdate today with some of our favorite people: Heather, Ethan, and Samantha!  Heather took care of Sadie for the past two and a half years, and now she is a teacher!  We miss seeing all of them so much!  Sadie was soooooo excited for her little "reunion."

We met at Chik Fil A so the kids could play.  The hilarious part is... my child got stuck on the TOP of the playground and I had to climb up there three times.  I am sure there were people snickering at me down below!



After all of today's events, I am tired!  Good night!  I can't believe tomorrow is Wednesday!  This week is flying by!

4 comments:

  1. Those sound delish and I happen to have all of the ingredients!! I'm definitely making those on Friday for a lil sercie for my hubby! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these cupcakes! I'll have to try them sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz - This is so cool!! I couldn't resist and had to add a link back to your post from my post. There is a little update at the end. Thanks for sharing this with me! Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!