Friday, October 29, 2010

A Ghoul Grubfest with Sorta Homemade Soup

Preview of the soup...


Have you ever heard that blessing?  "Rub a dub dub... thanks for the grub... Yay God!"  I have always despised that blessing.  I also really despise the word "grub."  It reminds me or worms, dirt, dirty little boys... all things that I am not really into.  (Good thing I ghave birth to a prissy little girl!)  But I have to use that word today because today at school we had a "Ghoul Grubfest."  This was basically our teacher Halloween "potluck" lunch.  Everyone brought in lots of yummy treats to share with everyone.  Don't you love a pot luck meal?  It's the only time you can eat an Asian salad, meatballs, vegetable soup, a cupcake, chicken wings, cheese cubes, and strawberries all on the same plate.  Now I am sitting here completely uncomfortable because I ate too much of way too many different things.... 



One of my favorite things about fall is the abundance of soups, stews, and comfort foods.  I think I could eat soup every day and be happy.  So that's what I decided to make for the "Grubfest."  I decided to do another "Sorta-Homemade" meal.   For those of you just joining me, "Sorta-Homemade" meals were inspired by Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade show on Food Network.  You can click the link on the right side to see more semi-homemade meals.

"Sorta-Homemade Chicken, Broccoli, and Cheddar Soup" is so easy, and it's very rich and filling.  It has the flavor of a restaurant soup, but probably half (or less) the fat and calories.  If you follow Weight Watchers, one cup of this soup is 4 points and this recipe makes 10 cups.  That's not TOO bad for a cream-based soup.  The hard part is stucking to the portion size!



Here's the recipe...

"Sorta Homemade Chicken, Broccoli, and Cheddar Soup"

Ingredients:
1 pouch Bear Creek Broccoli Cheddar Soup Mix
5 cups frozen broccoli florets
1 1/2 cups chopped grilled (or baked or boiled) chicken breast
2/3 cup light sour cream
OPTIONAL: cheddar cheese, bacon pieces for garnish (not included in points values)

Directions:
Place 10 cups of water in crock pot.  Add soup mix and stir.  Turn heat to high.  Allow soup to get very warm/hot.  Then, add the frozen broccoli and the chicken.  Allow to cook on high for 2 hours.  Before serving, mix in sour cream.  Garnish with shredded cheese, extra sour cream, bacon bits if desired.

How easy is that???  No one will ever know you started with a mix, I promise!

Ok, one last thing...

I just returned from the hair salon... and I made a change... what do you think I did?  Any guesses???

1 comment:

  1. Had your hair done a darker shade.....that is what my daughter-in-law did.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!