Saturday, June 4, 2011

Dixie-Style Dining: Dixie’s Double Chocolate Cake with Buttercream Icing

You’ve been waiting… and now it’s here.  Dixie’s Double Chocolate Cake. 

100_8153

Funny little tidbit… this cake actually has a sort-of inappropriate name.  It’s one of those things that is going to be a family secret.  The first time I saw my grandmother make this cake, she told me the name.  And then she said, “But when I take it somewhere, I call it ‘Double Chocolate Cake.’” So… this is Dixie’s Double Chocolate Cake with Buttercream Icing.

In 2005, I went on a trip to Atlantic City for a weekend with my friend Kati.  We had a fun weekend shopping and doing a little gambling, and on Saturday, Kati flew home.  I decided to arrange for a Sunday flight home so I could have a night with my grandparents, who lived in Philadelphia.  I think it was the only time I ever stayed at their house without the rest of my family.  It was a nice visit, and on Sunday, my grandmother was  busy making this delicious-looking cake to take to a church event.  I was watching as she iced the cake and sort of salivating… and my grandfather was doing the same thing.  He said it was one of his favorite cakes, and he was really afraid that it would all get eaten and he wouldn’t get a piece.  And because she was taking the cake to church later that night… I did not get a piece, either.

For two days, I kept thinking about that cake, so I finally emailed them and asked for the recipe.  My Grindaddy sent it to me the next day and I made it right away.  (He shared with me that he DID get a piece of cake, by the way!)  It WAS delicious.  And I felt really proud of myself for making a cake from scratch AND making the icing!

So now I am sharing it with all of you… and I hope that you enjoy it!  I will share one other funny tidbit with you… I made this cake for a work party on Thursday.  Ryan was jealous that I wouldn’t let him have any the night I made the cake.  But there were leftovers.  And he just ate 3 pieces for dessert. 

100_8159

“Dixie’s Double Chocolate Cake”

Start with 3/4 stick of butter, softened, 2 cups of sugar, 2 eggs, and a pinch of salt.  Cream all together.  Then, in one cup boiling water, dissolve 1 cup Hershey’s Cocoa and add to mixture.  Add 2 cups flour and 2 tsp. vanilla.  Finally, add 2 tsp. baking soda in one cup boiling water and blend into mixture.  (YES, there are 2 full cups of water in this recipe!  That’s not a typo!)  Bake 1 hour and 5 minutes (time varies for different ovens—so check it at 50 minutes) at 350 degrees in a small tube pan or bundt pan.

Buttercream Icing:

Blend together: 2 cups powdered sugar, 1/2 stick of butter, 3 Tbsp. milk, 1 tsp. vanilla.  Add more sugar if you like.

100_8147

Enjoy with coffee… or better yet… ice-cold milk.

100_8158

 

6 comments:

  1. I just asked my mom to make this for Geoff and I :) I am afraid I would eat the whole thing on the spot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, is there supposed to be oil of some sort in this cake? I made this last night because it looks divine! My cake turned out BAD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry your cake did not turn out! I will double check the original recipe to be sure I did not make a mistake here, but I don't think it did. It is a very watery cake batter but it does turn into a cake! What did yours taste like?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made your cake this morning and it turned out GREAT! I followed you instructions exactly and my family and I loved it ♥ Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you liked the cake! Thanks or your comment! Come back an visit soon! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!