Tuesday, February 7, 2012

When in Doubt, Scramble. With Spinach.

Lately, I have been on a bit of a spinach and egg kick.  It’s no secret that I love eggs.  Fried, poached, boiled, scrambled, deviled—it doesn’t matter to me.  I love them ANY way.  Once I read a quote by Jillian Michaels in a magazine and she said that she thought eggs were quite possibly one of the world’s most perfect foods, and I agree.

  • First of all, they are high in protein, so they’ll keep you satisfied longer and energized longer (if you eat them for breakfast.) 
  • They also are a great after-exercise food because they help your body repair and grow muscle tissue.
  • They are very affordable!  A carton of eggs costs about $1.50-$3.00, which means an egg costs around $0.15-$0.30 each!
  • They contain vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants!  And all for only about 70 calories apiece! 

(These facts were gathered from The American Egg Board.)

Like I said, I love eggs.  But lately, I have been loving the spinach-egg combination.  A friend reminded me how great these two foods are together and this has been my favorite weekend breakfast lately. 

IMG_2456

It only takes about 2 minutes to prepare.  I don’t think you can even call this a recipe—it’s that easy. 

IMG_2459

Want to try it?  Here’s how.

Spray a nonstick pan with cooking spray or olive oil.  Heat over medium-low heat.  When pan  is warm-hot, add in fresh spinach.  I like to add about a cup, tightly packed.  Maybe a little more.  (It will cook down to about 1/6 the size.)  Add a sprinkle of garlic powder, salt, and pepper.  Cook until just wilted.  Then throw in 1-2 scrambled eggs.  Cook until eggs are scrambled to your liking.  Enjoy!

Tonight when I got home from Zumba, I tried another variation. 

pics 2-7-12 002

When I added in the eggs, I also added in about 5-6 grape tomatoes, halved, and 2  Tbsp. crumbled feta cheese.  SOOOOO delicious.  The feta, spinach, and eggs were a great combination!  I remember a time when I didn’t really like feta, but lately, I am loving it on salads and with veggies and hummus!

I also added some sliced avocado on the side.  Another favorite food!

These spinach-egg scrambles REALLY help me to feel satisfied longer than other breakfasts, and they are just delicious!  If you decide to try them, let me know how you like them!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!