Saturday, February 25, 2012

Husband’s First Sushi

As a mom of a four-year-old, I know how exciting it is to reach milestones: baby’s first steps, baby’s first solid food, baby’s first day of preschool… but today the husband reached a milestone, too.  Details in a minute!

Last night we enjoyed dinner with friends… I had a salad and salmon with steamed broccoli. 

SCIRA 006

SCIRA 007

I had a nice surprise for breakfast:

SCIRA 008

quiche and Starbucks!  Yum!  When I headed down to the conference events this morning, I expected to find a pastry bar, but I was surprised to find quiche!  Yum!  And a bold cup of Starbucks coffee!  Perfect. 

After the conference events, I was really craving sushi.  With the help of Yelp (an awesome iPhone app!) I located a local sushi spot that had pretty good ratings: Soho.  And it was within walking distance from our hotel!  Score!  Now, I have to tell you that the husband doesn’t eat sushi, but I really thought if I could convince him to go that he would like it.  And he was a good sport and agreed.

SCIRA 017 SCIRA 009 SCIRA 010

Soho has a great atmosphere and is a cute little place.  The only negative thing I could mention is that they still have a smoking section (so weird—I thought they were obsolete!) and even though we sat in the nonsmoking section… you could still smell it.  But other than that, it was a great local spot that wasn’t overrun by tourists. (You know… I guess we were the tourists since we don’t live here… but I have been coming to Myrtle beach for so many years that I don’t consider myself a tourist.)

We started with Miso Soup and Calamari…

SCIRA 011

SCIRA 012

Both were delicious.  The miso soup was really tasty and I liked that the tofu was really soft and silky.  Even the hubby liked it!

We decided on the Spicy Tuna Roll and a Crazy Roll.  Both were great!

SCIRA 013

SCIRA 015

The hubby gave his first sushi experience a thumbs-up!  Now I can’t wait to take him to RuSan’s, my favorite spot in Charlotte!

SCIRA 016

We spent the rest of the afternoon shopping and wandering. 

SCIRA 019

SCIRA 021

It is just really nice to be away and childless for a few days!  I miss my little monkey a bunch, but it’s nice to have some adult time, too!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun weekend away! Hope you got some relaxation in during all the work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got my husband to try sushi too! I think I have him hooked. He stilll has to eat something cooked along with it but hes learning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was impressed that Ryan ate the raw tuna! One step at a time! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!