Sunday, May 22, 2011

Baked Spicy Fries and a Chicken Secret

Happy Sunday!  Wow!  It is really heating up here in the south!  We hit the 90s today, I think!  Here comes the hot weather! 

We had a very enjoyable weekend.  I spent some time with friends and got to relax some.

100_8002

(Beautiful night on the lake with friends!)

Today I had a chance to do some reading.  I’m reading Water for Elephants.  So many people have been talking about it, I had to read it.  It’s a really good book.  I am getting close to the end.  I’ve been reading it on my Kindle!  Have any of you read it?  We may have to have a discussion when I get finished (hopefully tonight!)

We’ve had some enjoyable eats this weekend, but I want to share two things with you tonight!

First up, Spicy Baked Fries! 

100_8005

These are a staple at our house.  I make them A LOT.  I’m a person who craves salty foods, like chips, cheese, and fries.  But it’s no secret that fries are generally bad for you.  I first started making these baked fries in college, using my toaster oven in my dorm room (violating the fire hazard policy—Oh No!)  But as I got older, I have perfected them, using various yips I have picked up along the way.

Ingredients:

  • Russet Potatoes
  • salt
  • sugar
  • pepper
  • Emeril’s Original Essence Seasoning Blend
  • Canola Cooking Spray

Prep: First, cut your potatoes however you like.   I like to cut them so that they look like fries, but there are many ways to cut them.  Now.  Put your potato slices into a bowl of water with about 1/2 tsp of sugar and 1/2 tsp of salt.  It sounds crazy… but the water with sugar and salt helps draw the moisture out of the potatoes.  Soak about 15 minutes.  Then dry potato slices.  Spray a cookie sheet with oil spray.  Lay the slices on the sheet.  The season with salt, pepper, and Emeril’s.  Bake at 400 degrees about 15-20 minutes.  Then remove the sheet from the oven.  Turn each “fry” over.  Spray the slices again, and re-season.  Bake another 10-15 minutes or until crispy! 

100_8008

YUM!  You’ll never know you’re eating baked fries!

Next up… a chicken secret.  I’ve been baking chicken forever, as I am sure we all have.  However, I have found a secret to baking chicken that will almost always yield tasty, moist, tender chicken.  My secret?  Sear it first in a hot skillet!  I swear, i don’t know how no one ever told me this all these years.  I like to cook mine on the stove for about 3-5 minutes on each side.  Then I cover my skillet and place the whole thing in the oven to finish cooking.  I promise, it is the BEST way to bake chicken!  Searing it first seals in the flavor and the juices!  Tonight we had lemon-pepper chicken, and it was soooooo good!  I wish all of you could have enjoyed dinner with us!

100_8011

100_8014

100_8015

100_8016

So, friends… the countdown is on… only 2 more weeks of school left!  I can’t believe it!  This has been an amazing year!  But of course summer is SUCH a fun time.  I’m already thinking about all the fun things we can do!  :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!