Sunday, March 27, 2011

Special Blessings

When I went to bed on Friday night, I figured Saturday morning I would be writing a post about the Zumba Party I helped teach Friday night.  But instead, I have sad news to share.  If you have been reading my blog for a while, you may remember that about a month and a half ago, I wrote about my grandmother’s passing.  And today it is with a heavy heart that I tell you that her husband, my beloved Grindaddy, went to join her in Heaven early yesterday morning. 

Grindaddy and Memama

 

Grindaddy on his birthday in 2007… he was 89 years old.

 

My Grindaddy was such a special man.  He was a courageous, strong-willed, generous musician who spent the last several years taking care of his sweet wife. 

232323232fp43238_nu=323__265_9_9_WSNRCG=323345_88;55_nu0mrj

232323232fp43238_nu=323__265_9_9_WSNRCG=323345_88;64;nu0mrj 

One of the best blessings is that he and my Memama were able to meet my daughter, Sadie, and get to know her over the past three years.  Here he is with Sadie, when she was just two weeks old, and he was singing to her as he held her.  What a special blessing.  Isn’t life full of them? 

It’s so hard to believe that he is not with us anymore, but I am so glad he and my Memama are together in a beautiful, wonderful, happy place.  I’m sure I’ll be doing another post soon… with a few things that will always remind me of Grindaddy.

7 comments:

  1. Liz, I am so sorry to hear of your grandfather's passing. Big hugs and special prayers for you. Let me know if there is anything I can do
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, I am so sorry to hear this. Big hug and prayers for you. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz,My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Your comments about your Grindaddy getting to meet Sadie and sing to her brought tears to my eyes as I remember my dad getting to meet his first Grand daughter days before his death. He sang to her too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He was a favorite uncle of all the boy cousins. When he came to Grandaddy and Memama Dixon's, where your mother and sisters with families in tow spent several weeks each summer in Blackstock, would bring gifts. As alway anytime Uncle Larry was around he would place any song we asked him to play on the piano. He was a gentleman and the best husband, daddy, granddaddy, brother, cousin, uncle and friend in the world. We will all miss him, but will never forget him. He and Aunt Helen will always be in our heart. They were the perfect couple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your grandfather has to be one of the most interesting people that Sean and I have ever met!! We really enjoyed talking to him and learning about where he had been and what he had done with his life. Sean's first meeting with him was a few short weeks ago at Helen's funeral and he hasn't stopped talking about how cool your grandfather was since then....it caught us both off-guard when we heard that he passed away but we both knew that he had "died of a broken heart"!! You are very lucky to have gotten to grow up with your grandfather...neither one of us did and we are glad we got to share your with you! So thanks for sharing and we are both praying for you....xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz, So very sorry for your and your family's loss, but can you imagine a love so great that even a month apart was too much for him to bear? And then imagine their reunion in heaven. I can't think of a more beautiful legacy to leave to their children and grand children.
    My prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was already a little sad this morning leaving Greenville...I almost feel as if I was somewhat "keeping it together" this time after so much sadness in 2011 and the loss of Memama last month, but your post has made me cry. I love the pictures, but really love the one of Grindaddy holding Sadie when she was a baby. That is so, so special and so sweet. He will be missed...they both will.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!