Saturday, March 5, 2011

Girls’ Night Out and a Restaurant Review

Wow.,  This has been a busy, busy week!  It’s been fun.  But it’s been busy.

Thursday night, I taught Zumba and then I headed out for a Girls’ Night Out!  We like to try out new and especially local spots, so we decided on El Caribe in Rock Hill because none of us had been there.  About 5-6 years ago, we had a Mexican restaurant here called El Caribe, and we were wondering if this was the same owner or a coincidence.  Turns out this is the same owner!  They have both Caribbean and Mexican food. 

100_7095

I wish I had taken pictures of the outside, because it’s a cute place.  It’s like an old house.  I like places with character.  I also liked that they were playing a Daddy Yankee song when I walked in!  It was like walking back into Zumba!

I decided to try a Mangi Mojito.  Yum. 

100_7091

100_7090

This big ole drink was only $4! 

But then… I was a little disappointed. 

100_7092

One thing that disappointed me was that they did not have a mild salsa.  I can take some heat, and I usually prefer medium, but not everyone is like me.  The salsa was a bit spicy.  I think they should have a mild option. 

Here’s what I ordered… Camarones a la Mexicana… I thought this sounded great.

100_7094

I should have taken pictures of my food, but I didn’t.  I was disappointed.  The shrimp, onions, and peppers were really oily.  There is no way that those shrimp were grilled.  I am pretty sure it had all been sauteed in oil.  At first, I thought maybe I had been given the wrong dish.  When I asked about it, they said, “Yes, I think this is the right dish.”  No one seemed to be able to tell me if the dish was grilled or sauteed.  When my food arrived, the pico and avocado were missing.  When I asked about this, they brought out a bed of lettuce with cheese, a few slices of tomato, and 1 tiny slice of avocado.  That was disappointing.  Mainly because… that’s not what Pico de Gallo is…

I still tried the food I got, and it was okay… but not what I was expecting.  I think the staff should be more knowledgeable about the food they serve, and should definitely know if a dish is grilled or sauteed.  And no one offered to correct the mistakes!

Oh well… the company was great and it’s always fun to catch up. 

100_7087

Mandy P, Me, and Angie … all straight from the gym!

100_7088

Laura and Elizabeth

100_7089

Meredith and Mandy H

It’s so exciting… Meredith is getting married in just one week!  She’s going to be a beautiful bride!

Stay tuned… I’ve got another restaurant review coming up… this time… brunch fare! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!