Friday, December 31, 2010

A Look Back at 2010

So, I wasn’t going to write a review of the year.  I don’t know why.  I guess I thought it was kinda cliché or something.  But this morning as I have been catching up on all my blog-reading, EVERYONE is doing it. And I’ve really enjoyed reading about everyone’s high and low moments of 2010 and I like knowing what goals others are working toward.  So that brings me to this post I’m about to write.  Since there are only 7 hours left in 2010, I better get on it quick.  So these are some of the moments/hours/days/experiences I most remember about this year.  Many of these are things that weren’t in my blog, because I didn’t start my blog until August of 2010.

Our “baby” turned two years old!  WOW!  Where does the time go?  It seems like just a few months a go she was this tiny little baby.  And now she’s running all over the place, speaking in complete sentences and ordering her own food at restaurants (yes, she really does this!)  We actually celebrated together since her first birthday party was cancelled due to snow.  Our birthdays are only 5 days apart.

You know, with the recession, we’ve all been hearing about the rate of people without jobs and how many people have been affected.  Well, Ryan and I were like everyone else.  We thought, “Wow.  This is terrible.”  But we weren’t personally affected, so it didn’t really impact is.  Until March of this year, that is.  My husband’s school district decided to eliminate several positions from their payroll.  And his job as Assistant Principal was one of them.  Fortunately, there was a P.E. job for him (that’s what he taught before going into administration).  However, his job that he loved and had worked so hard for was gone.  And so was about 1/3 of our income.  It hit us pretty hard.  However, he’s handled it so well—much better than I could have.  We’ve had to learn how to budget—I mean REALLY budget.  For the first time, we’ve really had to think about wants vs.. needs.  But I think it’s made us both stronger. 

July was an incredible month—I received my Zumba Instructor License! 

I was so excited to go to the Instructor workshop… and then I realized how much I still had to learn!  I spent the rest of the summer choreographing and practicing so that hopefully one day i would have my own class.  And then it happened!  I am teaching 2 classes a week now.  

Also in July… I got to watch my sister get married!  It was such a special day and she was a beautiful bride!  She and her new husband David are now settled into their house and doing great.

I started working a a new school… sort of.  My school, Harold C. Johnson Middle School closed in order to be renovated into an elementary school.  I am now working at York Intermediate School with 5th and 6th grade students.  I miss so many of my colleagues that moved to other schools, but I love all the new colleagues I have met. 

I started this blog in August.  I have been so inspired by many other bloggers.  I had no idea so many of you were out there!  Check out my Blog roll for some of my favorites.  This blog has helped me to try new foods, learn new techniques, and meet people from all over the world! 

I hosted a dinner party featuring pomegranates and created recipes such as Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins and Breakfast Cups!

Finally, my family said goodbye to our special dog, Rosie, on Christmas Eve.  We got Rosie when I was in college.  She was such a sweet and special dog.  She was really my mom’s fourth child, because she was there when all of us moved out and my mom retired.  We will all miss her so much. 

So there you have it….  There have been some highs and some lows this year, but it’s all been a learning experience.  There has been a lot of laughter and tears this year—sometimes both at the same time.  I am ready to see what 2011 has in store. I hope you’ll stay with me for the ride.

Liz

2 comments:

  1. Liz, your post was so great! It really brought back so many memories for me too! I think I just shed a few tears myself...happy and sad tears. Hears to a very happy and healthy 2011 for you and your family! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to say that I go to a Zumba class, and I love it! I would love to be an instructor...maybe someday I will find the time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!