Monday, December 6, 2010

Christmasville Round 2 and a New Veggie!

Well, on Sunday we had Round 2 at Christmasville.  Sadie really wanted her cousins Jerry and Jack to come, too.  We started off in the snow village… where it was REALLY COLD. 

 100_5706

 100_5710

 100_5716

 100_5718

Look who we ran into: The Grinch!  Unfortunately, it was like the arctic circle where the Grinch was reading his book, so we couldn’t stay.  We headed for warmer territory!

 100_5721

We headed over to city hall to roast marshmallows and enjoy some hot chocolate.  Sadie had fun roasting the marshmallow and making a “cookie s’more!”

 100_5722

 100_5725

 100_5728

Does that not look delicious???

 100_5729

Then Sadie and Jerry enjoyed their S’more’s while watching the ice skaters and the fountain.  It was nice to warm up in the sun with some hot chocolate!

 100_5734

 100_5735

 100_5736

 100_5737

We headed over to Santa’s Workshop… and look who was there!

 100_5741

Poor Santa… he told me after this picture was taken that he was worried he was losing his touch.  But I promise you, he isn’t.  He was soooooo good with all the children. 

 

Now… fast forward 24 hours.  (Because last night’s dinner didn’t get photographed.)

Tonight I made a simple dinner: pan-seared chicken, roasted red potatoes and Brussels sprouts!  This was my first experience cooking OR eating Brussels.  I shredded them and did a quick saute with a little EVOO, salt, pepper, and garlic.  Then when they were finished, I added a touch of butter.  Not bad!  I want to try roasting them and see how I like them that way.  I have seen a few recipes I may try.

 100_5742

 100_5745

100_5748

 100_5750

Question: Have you tried Brussels?  Love ‘em or hate ‘em?  How do you prepare them?

Night, all!

2 comments:

  1. Love all your ChristmasVille pics! I've gotta post mine on my blog but have just been too lazy. Wanted to comment about the brussels sprouts...I'm NOT a fan. Well, I wasn't til I tried my mother-in-laws yummy recipe. This recipe is DELISH! I'm sure it's not the healthiest way to prepare them but it's so good and at least I'm eating veggies right?! Here's the recipe:

    Brussels Sprouts Gratin

    Active Time: 15 min.
    Total Time: 40 min.
    Serves: 6


    Ingredients: 2 Tbls. Unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for the dish
    Kosher Salt
    1 Pound Brussels sprouts, outer leaves & stems removed.
    Note: You can use whole frozen ones.
    Pinch of red pepper flakes
    Freshly ground pepper
    ½ cup heavy cream
    ½ cup grated white cheddar cheese
    ½ cup breadcrumbs


    Preheat over to 400 and butter a 2-quart baking dish.

    Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook until tender, 8-10 minutes.

    Note: If using frozen sprouts, just partially thaw in microwave enough so they can be chopped up.

    Drain the sprouts and coarsely chop. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and toss with the red pepper flakes and salt & pepper to taste. Spread out evenly in dish.

    Pour the cream on top, sprinkle with the cheese and breadcrumbs and dot with butter pieces.

    Bake the gratin until bubbly and golden brown, about 15 minutes.

    Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't ever had them, I don't believe but now I want to try them reading both your easy recipe and the recipe by Michelle...yum! I do like cabbage, so wouldn't I like brussel sprouts?!? :) Great photos from the weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!