Saturday, September 18, 2010

More Steel-Cut Oats, Birthday Cake, and Pasta from Giada!

This morning, I made a new batch of oatmeal.  I used steel-cut oats-- they are really growing on me!  I made the apple cinnamon flavor again.  Ryan liked them too!  Luckily, I made enough for tomorrow, too.  I can't believe I didn't eat an egg today!  That's unheard of for me on a Saturday!


See the steam?

Apple slices
Then we headed to visit some friends who have a new baby; Baby Avery is sooooo cute! 

Ryan holding Baby Avery

Today we had a special birthday party to attend.  Sadie's cousin, Jack, turned one yesterday, and today was the big celebration!  We had a great time watching Jack smear cake all over his face and open his presents!

Baby Jack seems excited!  Can you tell?



I never would have thought I would like Barbecue Chicken Pizza, but this pizza from Donato's is delicious!



Aren't these little figurines cute on the cake?

He's not too sure about that candle...


Jack got some help from his big brother, Jerry, and Sadie


Then we all got to enjoy some cake and ice cream!


What a mess!

He sure looks content!

Birthday presents!  Big brother Jerry helps out.
When we got home, Sadie was pretty tuckered out, so she (and Ryan) headed upstairs for a little siesta.  I used that time to catch up on The Real Housewives of D.C. and flip through a cookbook I haven't used in a while: Everyday Italian by Giada de Laurentiis.  This cookbook has some really simple but delicious meals!  I found two that I wanted to make, so I headed to the store and got ingredients for two meals, the first of which I made tonight: Ziti with Asparagus, Mozzarella, and Black Forest Ham. (This is adapted from the original, just a tad-- see my notes below.)

Ingredients:
1 box of penne pasta
3 oz. light mozzarella, cubed (this was supposed to be smoked mozzarella, but I couldn't find it-- even in the specialty cheeses!)
3 oz. ham, thinly sliced (originally supposed to be prosciutto, but I had ham I needed to use up)-- don't use the woody ends, though
1 1/2 tbsp EVOO
1 lb asparagus, diagonally sliced into segments about the same length as the pasta
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tbsp thinly sliced fresh basil
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add penne.  Cook for 5-6 minutes.  Add asparagus cuts.  Vook for an additional 3-4 minutes, until pasta is al dente and asparagus is a little tender.  Reserve one cup of the cooking liquid.  Drain pasta and asparagus.  Heat oil in a large skillet.  Add garlic and saute for about 20-30 seconds, until it is fragrant.  Then add pasta, reserved liquid, and salt and pepper.  Toss to combine.  Remove from heat.  Then add mozzarella, ham, and basil.  Toss to combine.  Serve hot. 


This recipe is delicious!  The flavors went so well together.  The mozzarella was so gooey and melty and the ham added a little extra saltiness.  It was a big hit with everyone.  I will definitely make this again.

1 comment:

  1. Hey honey, I loved this meal. The pasta with melted cheese really stood out with the ham and asparagus. I also ate this later with a little catalina dressing and made it into a ham, pasta salad combo!! Thank you sweetie!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!