Monday, September 6, 2010

And the Breakfasts Continue... a Light Breakfast Burrito!

So, if you have been reading my posts recently, you know that I am really into breakfast.  One of my biggest pleasures used to be stopping at the McDonald's or Burger King drive thru in the morning on the way to work.  The lady that worked the BK drive thru even learned my name and how I took my coffee.  If I was running late, she would say, "Girl!  Where you been?"  At the time, I thought, "Wow-- this is wonderful service!"  However, NOW I look back and think, "What was I thinking???"  The average fast food breakfast is loaded with fat and calories-- sometimes it has more than an extra value meal LUNCH!  That is sad.  Even sadder, I still fight this battle every day.  I still want to stop off for a Bacon, Egg, and Cheese biscuit sometimes.  Sometimes, I do it.  However, I have found that with a few easy recipes and about 5 extra minutes in the morning, I can make my own easy, healthful breakfast that will "fool" my brain into thinking it's been through the drive thru.

This morning, I made a simple breakfast burrito.  I used a tortilla that had about 120 calories and 11 grams of fiber.  (Whoa-- that is a lot-- but it will help you to feel satisfied!)  I scrambled 1 egg plus 1 egg white with a dash of skim milk, salt, and pepper.  As that was scrambling, I warmed my tortilla in the microwave.  Then I spread the egg on the tortilla.  Over the egg, I added a tiny bit (about 1/8 of a cup) of reduced fat colby and cheddar cheese.  I crumbled a piece of turkey bacon over that.   (I cooked bacon 2 days ago, so I had leftovers.) Then I added about 1/2 tsp of chopped green onion and a few drops of Frank's cayenne pepper sauce.  I rolled it up and voila!  A breakfast burrito with a little color, a little kick, and a lot of fiber and flavor. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!