Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Leftovers, Muffin Explosion, and More Oatmeal

I thought about not posting today, because I didn't really do anything creative in the kitchen today.  Instead, I just faked it.  Mostly.

For example, dinner was leftovers.  I tried to make it semi-nutritious by adding the broccoli-- but let's face it, it was still Little Caesar's leftover pizza!


Leftovers...



Then I made muffins, but I didn't really MAKE them.  I added milk to the Martha White Pouch mixes.  Can you call that "baking?"  I'm going to say no.  But they're cheap, quick, and they taste good.  And sometimes that's just life, right?

Muffin Explosion

Maybe from a pouch, but still good.
I did do ONE "cooking from scratch" job.  Remember the "Overnight Oatmeal" that I didn't like so much?  Well, tonight I made one serving of steel cut oats.  I wanted to see if I liked them better cooked on the stove.  And I did!  I really thought the consistency was much better.  Still different from rolled or instant oatmeal, but in a good way.  It sort of reminded me of tapioca pudding.  And the flavor reminded me of Cream of Wheat.  I remember eating Cream of Wheat growing up.

Apples and Cinnamon Steel Cut Oats
Here's my recipe for the oatmeal.  I made Apples and Cinnamon Oatmeal.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup steel cut oats
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup skim milk
1/3 cup chopped dried apples
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp brown sugar

Heat the water and milk (mixed together) to boiling.  Then, stir in oatmeal and apples.  Reduce heat to low.  Simmer uncovered 20-25 minutes, until you reach the desired consistency.  About halfway through the simmer time, add the cinnamon and sugar.

I was expecially excited that one serving turns into a LOT of oatmeal.  So I had dessert tonight and I have breakfast cooked for tomorrow!  Just reheat and eat!  Yum!

1 comment:

  1. I've been reheating my leftovers from my overnight steel cut oats, and when I re-heat them, I do it stove top. They taste so much better! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!