Thursday, August 11, 2011

Reading Terminal Market + a Glimpse of Chinatown

Welcome!  It’s Thursday Eve!  Yay!  I’ve been telling you all about my quick but fun-filled trip to Philadelphia. Today I want to tell you about our trip to Reading Terminal Market.  I’ve seen Reading Terminal on the Food Network and other documentaries many times, but I have never had an opportunity to go. 

100_8798

Until now. 

100_8799

100_8800

I have one piece of advice for you if you are planning a visit to Reading Terminal.  Do. Not. Eat. Before. You. Go.  Actually, I have two pieces of advice.  Don’t go when you have a big lunch planned for right afterwards!  My problem was the latter.  Even though I knew we couldn’t eat a meal at RT, I still wanted to go an explore and see it for myself.

100_8801

100_8803

100_8805

Think… Food Court meets The Fresh Market meets Whole Foods meets Earth Fare meets bakery meets pastry shop meets florist.  Times 100.

100_8802

Here’s a picture of Reading terminal in 1952. 

100_8806

You can find ANY type of cuisine here at Reading terminal, plus you can do your grocery shopping.  There is fresh produce and fresh meat, all sorts of seafood… and desserts galore. 

Of course I couldn’t leave empty-handed, so I decided on an assorted box of cookies from the Famous 4th Street Cookie Company, redf grapes (for Sadie) and dried Kiwi slices.

100_8817

 100_8820

Then we decided to head into Chinatown, just to explore a bit.  I’ve been to Chinatown in San Francisco and it is HUGE and amazing.  Philadelphia’s Chinatown is a little smaller, but it’s fun to explore a bit. 

100_8809

100_8810

100_8811

Sadie got this pretty fan in a little gift shop.  It might be her favorite souvenir from the trip!

IMG_3404

There’s one last Philadelphia post coming up—great meals with family and friends! 

2 comments:

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!