Saturday, August 6, 2011

Cheesesteak Fix

As I have mentioned, one thing that we have been looking forward to since we knew we were coming to Philadelphia is getting cheesesteaks.  Now, I know in lots of restaurants, you will see “Philly Cheesesteak” on the menu, but do not be fooled.  It is not as good as the ones you can get here in Philadelphia. 

You’ve probably heard of Pat’s and Geno’s.  (You can read more about this by clicking here or here.)  Those two places are probably the most widely-known and are the most famous.  There’s a running debate about who is first and who is better.  However, we don’t involved in that conflict.  Lots of people believe that Pat’s and Geno’s are basically tourist traps and that some of the “local spots” are better.  

Since I have never actually been to Pat’s or Geno’s I can’t comment on that.  But our family has one spot that we loooooove.  It’s called Dalessandro’s and it’s tucked away in Roxborough. 

100_8679

100_8680

100_8681

Now, a true “Philly Cheesesteak” is made with Cheez Whiz, but we opt for the American Cheese on ours.  My personal favorite: Sauce with Onions.  (Last night I ordered mine sans onions because I was sharing with Sadie.) 

100_8683

100_8684

Dalessandro’s did not disappoint.  The pictures aren’t great, but trust me.  The sandwiches were delicious.  My sister Adrienne described them as “melt-in-your-mouth” delicious.  I never would describe any meat that way, but in this case, they truly do melt in your mouth.  There are conflicting opinions on whether the meat is better “chopped up” or not… but I definitely like it more finely chopped.  (From what I hear… Pat’s and Geno’s have thicker meat and it is less “choppy.”  (For lack of a better word…?)

Definitely not healthy… but definitely worth it!  (And I have to tell you… there were multiple members of our family who ate MORE than 12-inches of cheesesteak last night.  AND ONE of us has eaten approximately 30 inches of cheesesteak in the past two days.  I’m not saying who… but it was not me!)

Now… be sure to stay tuned because I’ll be blogging soon about our day in historic downtown Philadelphia.  I haven’t visited these sights in many years because usually when we’re here, we’re busy seeing family and friends.  I’m so glad we got to do this today!  It was tiring but fun, informative, and included some good eats, too!

Don’t forget… you can follow my Philadelphia trip on Twitter!  Just check out the Twitter section on the right side of the page.  I’m posting details on Twitter that you may not see here!  :)  For the lowdown… check out my tweets!

2 comments:

  1. Enjoying catching up on your posts & pictures from the trip...I like the insert about "who ate 30 inches of cheesesteaks"...haha...guess that'll be a secret for now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whom ever is in the picture going through the door at Dalessandro's Steaks Beer-Hoagie must have been hungry or needed a drink because they look like a flash going in.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!