Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Gettin’ Figgy

Wow!  I have lots of news to report tonight.

1.  OMG!  School starts tomorrow!  WHERE does the time go???  It seems like just a day or so ago I was announcing that I was on vacation!  I am very excited about a new year and new possibilities.  I am lucky to work in a wonderful school and district!  :)

2.  Sad News… our TV broke tonight.  So weird!  It was perfect last night.  But today… it won’t even come on.  If you follow me on Twitter then you know I am a little suspicious.  Hubby has been wanting a flat-screen for years.  Yes, we are the last people we know that still have a TV that weighs more than both of us together.  LOL.  I am wondering if he might have sabotaged the TV… hmmmmm.

3.  Thanks to Diana over at The Chic Life, I have a new breakfast fave.  I heard Diana talk about Green Monster Smoothies a lot and always thought, EWWWWWW.  Spinach?  With fruit?  Sounded crazy to me.  However, I tried it and YUM.  So Good.  So filling and has really stuck with me in the mornings!  You can go here to read all about making Green Monster Smoothies.  Anyway, I don’t add any sweeteners, so mine is purely milk, banana, and spinach, and I LOVE it!  You REALLY cannot taste the spinach.  Try it tomorrow and see how you like it!  And then let Diana know how awesome it was!

100_8880

4..  I am so excited about a fruit I found at a local farm stand yesterday…

100_8892

FIGS! 

It seems like everyone knows someone with a fig tree… but you can’t buy them in most markets.  I even checked the Rock Hill Farmer’s Market (who has a GREAT variety of produce) and they didn’t have any.  Luckily, the Bush n Vine in York, SC sells buckets of figs this time of year! 

100_8890

100_8889

The Bush n Vine is wonderful.  They have great locally-grown produce, but they also offer CSA memberships throughout the year!  We’ve been thinking about joining a CSA for a while now and maybe this Fall will be the time!

I think figs are just about the prettiest and most surprising fruit when you cut them open. 

100_8894

100_8895

Look at how pretty and pink they are!  I have been snacking on them a lot the past 2 days!  I’m thinking about a pizza with figs… hmmm.  Maybe you’ll be seeing that soon!

1 comment:

  1. I love the photography of the figs!! (And I'm not too familiar with them, so how do you 'snack on figs'?)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!