Sunday, August 14, 2011

Cheeseburger Lettuce Cups (Take That, McDonald’s!)

Happy Sunday, friends!  This has been a great, relaxing weekend!  I’m reading a new book… The Hunger Games.  It’s SO GOOD!  Have you read it?  It’s very suspenseful.  It’s actually more of a young-adult book, but lots of adults are reading it.  I’ve always liked futuristic books.  The beginning of this book actually reminds me of a really creepy short story I read once called “The Lottery.”  Anyone else read that???  Talk about disturbing!

On to other (less-disturbing) things… let’s talk food.

Yesterday I wrote about my new school lunch idea: Lunchtime Lettuce Cups.  You see, I am going back to work and I now have to think ahead and prepare healthy (and, more importantly, tasty!) lunches to take and keep at work.  My first lettuce cup that I shared was the pimento cheese and tomato lettuce cup.  Today, I would like to feature a seriously delicious Lettuce Cup idea…

The Cheeseburger Lettuce Cup. 

100_8886 2

This idea was inspired by a recipe from Hungry Girl a.k.a. Lisa Lillien.  She’s a genius when it comes to giving unhealthy food a makeover.  I got addicted to her cheeseburger quesadillas a summer or two ago.  But the problem is… I can’t exactly whip up a quesadilla at work.  I have access to a fridge and a microwave… so anything I make has to be simple.

100_8883

The ingredient list is simple and you probably have most items on hard, with the exception of the veggie burgers.  Tonight we cooked our veggie burgers on the grill, but the fabulous thing about both Boca and Morningstar Farms Veggie Burgers is the fact that they can be cooked in the microwave in under 2 minutes!

Make things simple for yourself.  The night before, dice up some onion, tomato, and pickle.  Place these in baggies.  (You could even make 2 days’ worth—and have these two days in a row!  I also diced up some cheese, but you could easily use pre-shredded.  Also, make sure you’ve got large lettuce leaves on hand.  Iceburg, Bibb, or Romaine works well.  (I used Romaine for these.)  In the morning, pack your lettuce, fixins, and box of frozen veggie burgers.  You may also want to pack a plastic knife for cutting your veggie burger if you don’t have access to plastic ware at work. 

At lunchtime…

Start by nuking your veggie burger.  When it’s done, let it cool for a minute and then dice it up.  (Pieces should be smaller than dimes.)  Sprinkle over 2-3 lettuce leaves.  Next, sprinkle desired amounts of cheese, diced tomatoes, diced dill pickles, and diced onion.  If you like, add ketchup!  (Lucky for me, we have this condiment on hand in the school cafeteria… but if you have a shared fridge, this may be on hand.)

AND now… ENJOY!  This Lettuce Cup is no joke!  It’s filling and tasty!  The diced onion and pickle will remind you of those tiny little McDonald’s cheeseburgers… but this is WAY better for you.  And it’s so pretty!

100_8882

100_8885

100_8887

I’m planning on doing another post soon on foods I like to keep on hand at work—stay tuned for that!  Does anyone have any favorite products that you like to keep on hand for workplace munchies?  Favorite lunches?  Snacks?  I’d love to feature some of your ideas when I do that post!  Leave a comment by clicking the “comments” section.  If I feature your suggestion, I promise to give you credit!

Have a wonderful Sunday evening and have a WONDERFUL week!!!

1 comment:

  1. This may not be a 'great' suggestion for a snack but I kinda think so. Lately I've kept a jar of Kosher brand peperoncinis at my office. They're great to add with my lunch as a side item OR just as a snack. Honestly the part I like the best (besides the little hint of 'kick' they provide since they are a pepper and the flavor/taste) is the fact that they tend to "curb my appetite" a little...meaning the spice of them helps fill me up quicker which in turn keeps me from over-endulging on other foods at lunch (aka chips and such). Anyway, that's my two cents on a simple snack that goes a long way (literally).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!