Thursday, January 6, 2011

Scared of... the Scale?

So, first I need to play a little game of catch-up.  I've been away from my blog for a few days.  Oh, how I miss those lovely winter vacation days...

As many of you know, I am participating in the Eat In Month Challenge.  The first couple of days were easy.  The past couple of days... eh... not so much. 

Let me take you back to Tuesday.  Tuesday was a special day: the Hubby's 36th birthday!  (Hope he won't be mad that I am posting his age!)  Unfortunately, it was a SUPER busy day for us.  When I asked him what he wanted for his special birthday dinner, he said, "Cheeseburgers."  Of course.  So I made a plan.  The night before I went and got ingredients to make healthy sliders with spicy baked fries.  But Tuesday afternoon I taught Zumba, and then we both had a churh meeting to attend, so we didn't get home until almost 8:00 p.m.  Poor hubby!  What a birthday!  We wanted to cave.  In fact, he said, "Let's just go pick something up."  I'll admit, I thought about it.  But in the end, I went ahead and cooked what I had planned to cook.  You know what?  We ate a little later than normal, but it was SO worth it. 



The sliders were so good and way better for us than picking up some greasy burgers and fries.  Then of course we celebrated with cupcakes.  (Actually, we had to celebrate with cupcakes FIRST so that the munchkin could be a part of the celebration before her bedtime.)



Singing "Happy Birthday to You"

So... I bet you're wondering what the hubs got for his birthday.  Well, I think I may be winning the Wife of the Year award.  I got him...

wait for it...


a Wii! 


I have to admit, the Wii was actually a "we" gift.  I think I will enjoy it a lot, too.  (Especially since I got the Wii Fit Plus with the Balance Board to go along with it!)

So last night, after church, we got the munchkin in bed and decided to try out the Wii Fit Plus.  Do any of you have this?  It's pretty cool.  We both went through the initial fitness test together.  I made him go first.  We found out several things about each other.  I can tell you about Ryan's weight, balance, BMI, and more.  Now that's trust, right?  Then it was my turn.  I let Ryan watch me do the balance test.  (I am WAY more balanced!)  And then came the moment I was dreading... the weight and BMI part.  I have been very lax about keeping track of what I eat and not exercising as much as I used to.  When I lost most of my weight, I was doing all sorts of activities.  Lately, it's been just Zumba.  I haven't been weight training, either.  So I was afraid to see the numbers on the scale.  And the BMI.  And... ugh... it wasn't good.  I KNEW it wasn't going to be good.  You know?  It's like when you've been shopping for clothes all day, and you know you've spent a lot and you are dreading adding up the receipts?  Yeah, that is the feeling I had.  And to make matters worse, I let Ryan WATCH.  So he knows the numbers.  (Now, if that's not serious marital trust, I don't know what is!)

But now that I have seen the numbers and I know the damage, I can start to do something about it.  I read magazines and other stories all the time where people say, "I never step on the scale.  I just go by how I feel."  And to a degree, I believe this works.  I mean, I didn't have to get on the scale to know I was up several (ok, I'll be honest... 15) pounds. My favorite black pants are too tight to put them on right now and my jeans are tight, too.

BUT... I HAD to get on the scale in order to face the facts that I need to get busy doing something about it.  That means more cross-training, and DEFINITELY better eating habits.  I'm following the new Weight Watchers Points Plus plan.  It has been a challenge.  It's TOTALLY different from the old plan.   

So, it's a new year, and I am facing new challenges.  But I am up for it!

Have you ever been afraid to face the scale?  What did you do about it?

3 comments:

  1. looks like your cheeseburger was a success - looks awesome!!
    weight/BMI is just a silly number - you are so much more than a number!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you make the spicy baked fries?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The burgers look great!

    I get on the scale every single day, unless we are away from home. I've been doing it since I started to deliberately lose the baby weight from Charlotte. I get twitchy if I don't get on there.
    Also, since you're on twitter now, you should try Tweet What You Eat- http://www.tweetwhatyoueat.com. I used to turn my nose up at the thought of counting calories (remember when all we cared about was fat, and we would eat cafeteria meals of baked potatoes and bagels! Gah!), but TWYE is the tool I credit for dropping 40 lbs in about 4 months. And now when my weight starts to creep up, it's usually because I haven't been tracking, so I'll start tracking again for a week or two, and I keep my weight where it should be.

    I know this sounds borderline obsessive, but I'm not trying to be an unrealistic size/weight. At the age I am and after having two kids, my body's tendency is to hold onto weight, especially around my middle. I just try to keep the weight around 130, and my clothes fit fine that way. I also do spin a few times a week for cardio, but that's more to combat the family history of heart disease than anything else. If I think of exercise in terms of weight loss, I end up eating more... go figure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!