Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Eat Your Veggies: Okra

Now that summer is approaching, the farmer's markets are open again. This is always one of the best parts of summer. I swear, I can load my cart to the brim, and I never spend more than $20 or $25. And even better, I am able to support local farmers.

In the summer, I know I tend to eat more veggies, just because there are so many fresh veggies that are in season. Last year, we joined a CSA, but this year I missed the deadline. I enjoyed the CSA, but I also like being able to go and pick out my own veggies. One of my favorites is okra.

I grew up eating okra two ways: stewed with tomatoes and fried. I love both ways, and I also love adding okra to stews, soups, or gumbo. I even love pickled okra (and hope to attempt it this summer)! However, until last year, I never thought to roast okra. Now that I have tried it...it may just be my favorite way to make it!

Roasted okra is so easy to make. Just follow these steps. Feel free to experiment with other seasonings as well. This is just how I like to make it.

  • Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
  • Wash and dry your okra. (The smaller the okra, the better. Smaller okra is more tender.)
  • Place okra in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Toss the okra in the bowl to be sure that it is all coated with oil.
  • Spread out over a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Sprinkle with sea salt, freshly ground pepper, and garlic powder.
  • Bake for 15 minutes, then flip each piece over and bake for 5-10 minutes longer, or until okra is browned (but not burned).
  • Serve hot and enjoy!
And if possible, enjoy outside! :) Happy Summer!

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!