Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Breakfast for Dinner

What's up, friends? How's your Tuesday been? We are having the most amazing weather here in South Carolina. Clear blue skies, temps in the 70s for highs, sunny...it's enough to make a girl want to take a vacation day! But I am holding onto those days for summer and special occasions!

I am in a running rut. I really need to be running. I am just in a place where I. just. hate. it. I have been walking/running on my non-Zumba-teaching nights. I am trying to do between 2-4 miles when I go. I love walking, but I just don't feel like I get a good enough workout walking, even walking at a fast speed.

Anybody have some old tips for sticking with the running? I have done C25K before... and maybe I need to get back on that wagon. Anyways, if you have some tips, or words of encouragement, or even if you just want to commiserate, leave a comment on this post. ;)

In other news, tonight after I taught Zumba, I went with an old favorite- breakfast for dinner.

Yesterday I shredded some sweet potato in my food processor, and I had a pack of sausage from Lettuce Carry in the fridge. So I thought, why not? Breakfast for dinner. Bonus- I now have sausage and sweet potato hash to eat for breakfasts this week. Yay for being prepared!

Ingredients:

  • 1 tsp. coconut oil
  • 1 lb. ground breakfast sausage
  • 1 shredded sweet potato (I shred in my food processor but you could certainly shred using a cheese grater)
  • 1 medium onion OR a handful of sliced green onions
  • 1-2 eggs

Preparation:

Melt coconut oil in a hot nonstick skillet. Add sausage and brown, breaking you as you go. Ice sausage is browned, add the onion and sweet potato. Cook until sweet pitta is softened- about 5-7 minutes. At this point, the hash is done. If you want to make it a single meal, set aside all of the hash except for about 1 cup of the mixture. Add 1-2 scrambled eggs to the hot pan and scramble with the hash.

Sweet and savory and filling! Nom.

And just a little treat for those of you reading... Check out this old pic I found of myself while cleaning last week:

This is me in college with my friend Lorne, who I just found out is moving to China for 2 years! Check out his blog that he is writing about the experience!
And just to compare... Here is what I look like now:

Time certainly does change things. That and a good hairdresser. And better clothes.

Nighty night, friends!

 

2 comments:

  1. Caroline @ Broccoli HutMay 15, 2013 at 8:52 PM

    I've been struggling to muster up the motivation to run these days too. I think maybe it's the hotter weather? (It was 88 degrees here in NC today!). Anyway, I just try to imagine how much better I'll feel at the end of it all. I think having a plan also helps.
    PS Love your shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same temps here in the Charlotte area! The shoes are one of my weaknesses. ;)
    Elizabeth Bridges
    Confessions of a Former Couch Potato
    www.aformercouchpotato.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!