Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Tonight's Dinner Is Brought to You By...

Today, I found myself at home on a Monday rather unexpectedly. A certain little munchkin was sick, so I was home playing nurse-mom. Fortunately, she is feeling MUCH better tonight. I think she will be back at school tomorrow.

For some reason, I really was in the mood for Chicken Tortilla Soup today. I really wanted to run out to the store to grab a few things, but I didn't want to take sickly out on the town. What to do...what to do? Then I remembered Lettuce Carry.

I have been seeing commercials for Lettuce Carry in the mornings, and have wanted to try it. From their website:

"Lettuce Carry is a new grocery shopping experience in Charlotte, NC.

We offer over 15,000 diverse items at your fingertips, this includes a complete selection of fresh food (including local and organic), household items, health and beauty supplies, tobacco, beer and wine.

We then deliver your items right to your door at no charge (next day standard delivery) and our drivers accept no tips. Best of all, you save money because our low overhead costs means we can keep our prices low."

Well, all that sounded great to me, so I thought today would be a perfect time to give it a try! I shopped for the items I needed and checked out.

I could have had free delivery if I had waited to get my groceries tomorrow, but it was worth the convenience to pay $10 for a delivery today. I really love the fact that you can pick the 2-hour time slot that works best, so you aren't stuck sitting around all day waiting. And they even called to tell me when they were 10 minutes away! I chose the 4pm-6pm time slot, and they arrived at 4:15. Did I mention that they have a NO TIPPING policy?! So if you choose next day delivery it is absolutely free.

Prices were fairly comparable to a grocery store, and if you are a Couponer, they do accept manufacturer coupons. (I didn't have any,though, so I cannot report back about coupon use.)

The groceries all came in nice, reusable bags, which was above and beyond what I was expecting. Also, many of the meats are local! Another bonus!

I could definitely see using this service during lunchtime at work and having the items delivered around the time I would get home. After all...no one wants to hit the grocery store after work. Am I right?

Lettuce Carry delivers all over the greater Charlotte area- even to Rock Hill and Fort Mill, SC! If you are tired of going to the grocery store, give them a try!

Click here to visit the Lettuce Carry website.

Now, let's talk about this Chicken Tortilla-ish Soup I made tonight. I don't know what brought on this craving...maybe just the cooler fall weather. I have been making soup at least once a week. I also welcome any excuse to make spicy food.




Chicken Tortilla-ish Soup


 
If you want to make a Paleo-friendly version of this soup, then skip the corn and the cheese. I decided to add cheese mine for a little treat. Since I don't buy tortillas anymore, I took a cue from PaleOMG and used crushed Plantain Chips (just because I had them on hand) and sprinkled them over my soup. They added a little crunch. I am sure you could also add some sour cream as well if you like.

Ingredients:

  • 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (mine were baked)
  • 2 Tbsp. EVOO
  • 1 yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 3/4 cup frozen yellow corn kernels (I am sure fresh would be fine also)
  • 1 14-oz can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes
  • 10-12 oz. chicken stock
  • Handful of chopped cilantro
  • Cumin, ground cayenne pepper, salt, and freshly cracked black pepper to taste (I used a TBSP of cumin, 1/2 tsp. cayenne, and a dash of salt and pepper)
  • Optional extras: crushed tortilla chips or plantain chips, shredded cheese, sour cream
Preparation:

In a medium saucepan, heat EVOO over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper. Sauté until tender. Add corn kernels. Sauté one minute longer. Add diced tomatoes. Stir. Add spices, chicken, chicken stock, and cilantro. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes covered over low heat. Serve hot with any garnish you like!

This recipe will serve 3-4 people.





You can enjoy it naked (above) or accessorized (see below).

This soup was so delicious! One of the best things I have made in quite a while! I hear it's gonna be chilly this week...make yourself a batch!

 

2 comments:

  1. Um, I would LOVE a Lettuce Carry here!  That's awesome!  Love that they did local and organic for you too!  Very cool.  Soup looks great and hope little one is feeling well today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes-- they ARE great!  I will definitely use them again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!