Monday, November 19, 2012

Paleo Pumpkin-Apple Muffins

Usually, by this time of year, I would have gone through about 10 cans of pumpkin.  All of the bloggers I follow have been cooking pumpkin EVERYTHING and it all looks so delicious and wonderful.  Finally, I am joining the bandwagon.  I have been tweaking a recipe for some Paleo Muffins.  I was going to make apple muffins, but then I thought… “Apple + Pumpkin…” and these muffins were born!

These muffins are a bit more dense and have a slightly different consistency than a traditional wheat flour muffin, mainly due to the pumpkin and the coconut flour.  They are slightly sweet, but not overly sweet.  If you like them sweeter, then you could always add one more tablespoon of honey, although I have not tested them with 5 tablespoons.I would say they are slightly sweeter than a corn muffin.  I added a pat of real butter to mine (not Paleo) and that made these muffins even better.  I decided to have the husband taste-test them, just because I know he is a pickier eater (sorry Honey, but you know it is true) and he gave it a thumbs-up. 

IMG_4734

IMG_4735

 

Paleo Pumpkin-Apple Muffins

(adapted from Cindy’s Table’s recipe, found here.)

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup coconut flour (found at Earth Fare or other health food stores)
  • 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 can or pure pumpkin
  • 1 apple, chopped (I left the skin on mine)
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil (melted)
  • 4 Tablespoons raw honey
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract

Preparation:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, spices, and baking powder. In a separate bowl, combine the other ingredients and mix well.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.  Divide evenly into 12 muffin cups.  Bake for 20 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. 

Note: these do not rise like regular muffins, so you can fill the muffin cups to just below the tops.

IMG_4739

IMG_4741

I think next time, I may try a plain apple version of these.  I think that could be a delicious alternative. 

 

In other news, I just signed up to run in one of my favorite 5K Events: The Reindeer Romp!  I’ve been running some on the weekends and it feels good to be running again.  Since I have not been running as often, I am a little slower (3 miles in about 39-40 minutes) but I am hoping to improve it just a tad before the run on December 1.  I have run this race for several years, and it is always lots of fun.

IMG00010-20101204-0849[1]

(Ryan and Me in 2010)

This race is a part of Rock Hill’s annual Christmasville Festival.  I LOVE Christmasville!After the race, there are all sorts of fun events to help get you in the holiday spirit, including:

  • ice skating
  • carolers
  • gingerbread house contests
  • chili and soup cookoff
  • storytime and crafts with Santa

and more!  If you are local, I have to say that this is one of the best events for kids!  I can’t wait!  You can click here to view one of my previous posts from Christmasville

1 comment:

  1. Hi! How many calories do you think these muffins are? I made them and they fall apart but they are delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!