Sunday, January 1, 2012

Let’s Get It Started…

New Year’s Day makes me think of this song:

So, let’s get it started, shall we?  Welcome, 2012!

 IMG_2163

How did you celebrate the new year?  We rang in the new year with friends.  Our friends Kevin and Alice hosted a Bunco New Year’s Eve party.  I had never played Bunco before, but I was reassured that it was, in fact, very easy. 

 IMG_2164

IMG_2165

Turns out it IS easy.  My luck was not great—I won $10 for the most losses.  So… unlucky… but also lucky! :)

Of course the traditional midnight toast followed.

The night was lots of fun, even though I was reminded that I am not as young as I once was.  But it was fun pretending.

I pretty much slept through breakfast, so I started with lunch.

 IMG_2193 

This is what I am calling a “Hummus Bowl” and it may be my new favorite lunch.  It’s pretty simple.  I put 2 Tbsp. of Hummus in a bowl and then threw in stuff on top (tomatoes, cucumbers, feta), and ate it with these Pita Rounds.  Very tasty.  And so pretty.

 IMG_2194

I had to conserve my cooking energy because I was planning a big dinner with the traditional NYD eats: pork, collards, black-eyed peas, and cornbread. 

Everything turned out so delicious.  I slow-cooked pork shoulder until it literally fell off the bone.

 IMG_2202

See?  It literally fell off.

The black-eyed peas simmered while I worked on my collard greens.  I used this recipe last year for Kickin Collard Greens and it was amazing so I went with it again.  I have had collards different places, but I am telling you… this is the BEST recipe I have ever tasted.  If you are scared to try cooking greens, try this recipe.  The flavor is delicious, due to onion, garlic, bacon, and red pepper!  Plus, I used my own homemade chicken stock!  (Proud moment for me!)

  IMG_2206

IMG_2212

IMG_2210

IMG_2211

Two hours of cooking=20 minutes of actual eating and lots of dishwashing.  But that’s ok.  And according to tradition , we’ll have luck and money this year.  Works for me!

By the way, have I mentioned that Ryan and I are trying to participate in Eat-In Month again this year?  My friend Diana hosts this challenge each year.  We made it through about 2-3 weeks last year and then we (I) caved.  We’re hoping to make it through the month this year.  (We do make a few exceptions—dinner at church each Wednesday, and Sadie’s got a birthday this month, so that may be an exception, too.)  Would you like to join in?  It’s a great way to start the year with saving money and eating healthier after the holidays.

Happy New Year to ALL of you!  I look forward to a new year of blogging, cooking, dancing, and snapping photos!

4 comments:

  1. I'm totally going to aim for the Eat In Challenge, Liz (starting now since we got back from the beach today)! Great idea! --Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dinner looks so yummy! Good job! I hope you get rich this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't played bunco in years, but I remember it was very fun.

    So glad to hear you're doing Eat in Month again! Woohoo! :) I totally think you can make it the whole month this time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, my wrinkled place mats are showing. :) Glad you were able to come, it was fun. We might have to see about eating in for a month too, at least during the week the first month, thanks for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!