Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Recent Food Finds and Trends

Don’t you love when you are at the grocery store and you make an amazing discovery?  One such amazing discovery happened to me the other day at Harris Teeter.

IMG_0466

100 Calorie packs of OLIVES!  Yumalicious!  Now, I know not everyone is an olive-lover like me.  But I do love them.  There are 2 varieties of the packages: Thyme-Seasoned Kalamata Olives and Garlic-Thyme-Seasoned Green Olives.  Both are delicious and are perfect for work lunch-packing.  Yay for Mario Olives creating these convenient packages!  Olives are a great source of “healthy fat.”  Some people believe that they even help to fight belly fat in women.

Now, on to my new breakfast find.  I have been seeing Caitlin’s breakfasts made with raw oats all summer on her blog, Healthy Tipping Point.  I am just sorry I waited so long to try this. 

Mix: raw oats, yogurt (I like vanilla), fruits of choice, and anything else (like almonds) you want! 

IMG_0463

(in this bowl: oats, strawberries, and Weight Watchers Vanilla yogurt)

IMG_0464

Just mix and eat!

IMG_0465

I never thought I would like raw oats, but it really is so delicious when mixed with yogurt!  It is a lower-fat, lower-calorie alternative to mixing granola into yogurt.  I like to add almonds! 

Finally, if you follow me on Twitter, then you might have seen that I tried tempeh for the first time this week!  I decided to make mini BLTs with mine.  (By the way, did you know they are now making mini round flat breads???  Perfect for a slider-sized sandwich!) 

IMG_0458

IMG_0455

IMG_0456 

I never knew tempeh was so easy to prep and it really tastes good.  All salty.  :)  All you do is pan-fry it for a couple of minutes on each side, until it’s cooked through.  It was delish as a BLT, but I think this would be good in/on other recipes.  I have more left, so I will be experimenting with it!

In case you’ve never heard of tempeh, it’s a vegetarian alternative to bacon.  It’s a bit thicker than bacon, though. 

Coming soon… a post on work-related eats.  Thanks to my Facebook and Twitter friends for your favorite work-pantry food staples!  If anyone else would like to add a staple to the list, just comment on this post!

1 comment:

  1. Liz, you are amazing!! I can't wait to go and find those olives!!! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!