Saturday, September 11, 2010

Remembering the Twin Towers

A couple of weeks ago, I posted an entry about a book I was reading to the fifth grade classes at school.  The book, The Man Who Walked Between the Towers, was about Philippe Petit, a stuntman who did an amazing high wire walk between the Twin Towers in August of 1974. 

Usually on September 11, I think back to that day when I was teaching and got an email from another teacher who said, "I'm not sure what's going on, but you might want to tutn on the news.  It looks like a plane crashed into one of the Twin Towers!"  I remember, many of us thought, it must be a crazy accident.  I remember that I actually had the television on in my classroom and my seventh graders and I watched in horror as the towers crashed to the ground.  That day passed by in a blur, and for many nights, I saw those images in my head as I tried to sleep each night.

Today is no different-- I am remembering that day.  However, since I learned of Philippe Petit, I also love to think about this amazing thing that happened at the Twin Towers in 1974.  Every time I read the book The Man Who Walked Between the Towers, I feel inspired all over again, and it gives me hope that amazing things are possible when we have faith.

I'd like to post a link to a part of the movie, "Man on Wire," a documentary about Petit and his amazing walk-- just in case you've never heard of Petit.  And even if you have-- it's worth seeing.  Whenever I need inspiration, I like to go back and watch this, because each time, it still takes my breath away.

Click the arrow below to play the video.  Just in case it doesn't show up on your computer, here is the link to the video online.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEU7lrtehDs




We will always remember the horror of September 11, 2001.  However, when you think about the Twin Towers again, hopefully you will also remember this amazing feat.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!