Sunday, July 14, 2013

CFCP Food Essentials

So, I get this question a lot: what are your pantry/fridge staples? I was thinking I had done a post on this, but i searched and I guess somehow I never have! I always think it is interesting to hear what other people buy at the grocery store, so I thought some of you out there might be interested in knowing MY staples. It's kind of like when you go to someone's house to visit and you peek in their medicine cabinet or bathroom vanity. I'm just kidding. I've never, ever done that. Or maybe I have. You'll never know.

Eggs. I always, always buy eggs. Except for today, when I forgot them. So I have to go back tomorrow. But I eat eggs almost every day. Fried, scrambled, hard-boiled, or added to burgers or patties to hold them together. Hard boiled eggs are my go-to breakfast item when I am in a rush, and they also make a great pre-workout snack.

Everroast Chicken Breast (Boar's Head) from the deli. I get 1.5 lbs every week. Makes great lunches, pre-workout snacks, regular snacks. When I need an easy protein, this is it. Add some almonds and an apple- that's lunch in a pinch.

Lemons. I buy a bag every week or every other week. I add lemons to regular water, sparkling water, chicken, fish, salad, sliced apples (keeps them from turning brown), and more. Nature's condiment!

Bag of apples and 6 bananas. These two fruits are so portable. You don't need any utensils to eat them, and they don't make a mess. In the fall, I always buy Honey Crisp apples by the 3 lb. bag, and other times I buy Pink Lady or Gala apples. Why 6 bananas? I have no idea. Just seems to be the magic number.

Ground beef- grass fed if they have it where I am shopping. I use ground beef to make hamburger patties, Paleo meatballs, Chili, and more. We eat it every week. If it is on special, I always stock the freezer, too! It's a great price at Trader Joe's, and I just heard that Aldi has it for a great price. I guess I need to learn how to shop Aldi!

Almonds or cashews. I usually buy one or the other every week- because it's a portable yet healthy fat and sometimes you just need something crunchy!

Breakfast sausage. Some people are camp bacon. Some are camp sausage. I am camp sausage. I add it to scrambled eggs, frittatas, sweet potatoes, and more. I am trying a new brand this week: al fresco. I hope I love it! It's got a pretty clean ingredient list!

Sweet potatoes. I used to despise them, but my tastes have really changed! I used to disguise them, but now I even like puréed sweet potatoes!

3 lb. bag of yellow onions. Onions go in almost everything I cook- breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

Veggies- tomatoes, zucchini, and frozen green beans. We eat these almost every week because they are so easy to add to any meal. Zoodles, anyone?

So... Those are the staples I buy every week. You all know how I love to order groceries online... And Harris Teeter keeps my frequent purchases on my list from week to week, so I can shop for groceries in a snap! Then I just send the hubby to pick up the order! By the way, our local Harris Teeter is offering free pickup this week! So if you haven't tried this service out... Now is a great time!

So tell me...what are YOUR grocery staples?

In other news... I am heading back to work after 11 days of rest and relaxation. Starbucks, please have my Grande Bold Blend ready. I will be seeing you early in the morning!

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!