Thursday, June 6, 2013

Healthier Nachos

My love affair continues.

This hot sauce is good on just about everything I can find in my fridge or pantry. I have put it on sweet potato fries, eggs, veggies, and more.

Click here to read another recent post where I used Frank's.

And another.

And tonight: nachos.

Nachos used to be one of my favorite things to get at the ballpark or as an appetizer. They are a little bit of everything- crunchy, warm, messy... yum. However, I think you will agree with me that nachos don't have much going for them in the way of nutrition. Last week, a friend posted a link to a recipe for Healthier Nachos on Facebook, and the idea stuck with me. I couldn't locate the original recipe, so I made my own version.

The first thing I cut out? The chips. Really, I have found that the chips are just a way of getting the good stuff to my face. They are just a vehicle. The original recipe used bell peppers instead of chips. I liked that idea, so I went with it. Then I cut the cheese. I swapped it for some diced avocado...because really I think that what the cheese does is give you a nice creamy texture. I lightened up the beef topping from the way I imagine it would be made in most concession stands. And then I added hot sauce. Just because it's awesome on everything. Did I mention that before? Overall, I think this was a pretty awesome dinner that I will definitely eat again. (Like tomorrow.)

 

Healthier Nachos (Paleo and Whole30 Friendly!)

Ingredients:

  • 2 bell peppers sliced up into triangle-style shapes (but really the shape doesn't matter)
  • 1 lb. ground beef (very lean)
  • 1/2 can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
  • Spices- cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper
  • 1/2 avocado, diced

Preparation:

  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees. When hot, place peppers on a baking sheet and roast about 5-6 minutes on each side, just enough to soften them a little bit and get them nice and hot.
  • Brown beef and drain fat. Add spices: 2 tbsp. cumin, 1 tbsp. chili powder, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste)
  • Stir beef and spices. Add 1/2 can of tomatoes. Allow to simmer, uncovered, until most of the liquid evaporates.
  • Load up the nachos: peppers, beef mix, and top with avocado. Finish it off with Frank's!

 

Guess what today was? The last day of school. I can't believe it. For teachers and students around here, it's feeling a little like New Year's Eve. This is actually my first year of working all summer. If you have been reading for a while, you know that back in August I started a new job. I am still an educator, but my new position is year-round. It feels a little weird to be gearing up for summer work...but I am looking forward to the workshops for teachers that I will be teaching this summer!

 

2 comments:

  1. Um, this looks awesome and so perfect - I will need to make this recipe for sure... and soon! Way to go - maybe a good appetizer or something for the beach trip soon!?! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! We can definitely have it at the beach!!

    Elizabeth Bridges
    Confessions of a Former Couch Potato
    www.aformercouchpotato.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!