Monday, June 24, 2013

Gluttony in San Antonio

Howdy from Texas! Happy Sunday, everyone! I am having the best time in Texas. Learning a lot, and eating too much. Seriously. I am going to need to Zumba for a week straight to get myself back to normal. I did go for a walk today on the Riverwalk, but I need a serious week of detox.

Last night, we hit another Riverwalk location: Casa Rio. We scoped out several Mexican restaurants, and in the end, we settled on this one. It opened in 1946 and was one of the first restaurants on the river. We had to wait a bit for a table, but since it was a Saturday night, I kind of expected that. I read many of the Yelp reviews before going, just to see what others recommended. I was a little skeptical because some of the reviews were not great, but our experience was pretty good!

Casa Rio is located right on the Riverwalk, so there is lots to watch while you wait/eat!

Some reviewers commented that they did not like the chips and salsa...but I thought this was some of the best salsa I have ever had at a Mexican Restaurant! This tasted fresh to me- it did not taste like a jar of Tostitos salsa. And I like to think of myself as a salsa connoisseur. (I have to say... I think mine is the best... But this was really good!)

I tried to go semi-healthy with Pollo Asada.

It was pretty good! Of course, we ate way too much.

One plus to this restaurant is all the ambiance and atmosphere. Mariachi singers stopped by our table and asked if we would like to buy a song. We said no, but then some people sitting near us bought a few songs, so we ended up getting a free concert out of it!

On the way home, we stopped by to see the Alamo at night.

It is amazing to me to see how many people are out and about so late at night... Even children! You would have thought it was the middle of the day!

I hope you are enjoying hearing all about my trip to San Antonio. Some of the posts I am working on are:

  • ISTE Recaps (this will be posted on Outgrowing Myself)
  • Other Riverwalk eating/adventures
  • Alamo Visit
  • Haunted (or not?) Hotel
  • Dinner at this amazing spot:

More to come!

 

1 comment:

  1. LOVE your pic of the Alamo at night!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!