Monday, November 7, 2011

Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Boats

You know, I am a mom of a three-year-old, and sometimes it’s challenging to get the “good things” in her.  I honestly think my child could exist solely on peanut butter, Pop Tarts, popsicles, and cereal. 

Enter Spaghetti Squash. 

IMG_1411

There are several things that I like about SS. 

  • First, you can roast the seeds just like pumpkin seeds. 
  • Second, it’s just cool how the squash comes out stringy like noodles.  I can even call it a magic trick and my child believes me.
  • Third, my child will eat it and she doesn’t even know she is eating veggies.
  • Fourth, I will eat it and later be proud that I ate extra veggies.

Side note:  I so used to laugh at those moms on commercials who would say their kids were so picky, and that’s why their kids drank PediaSure.  I used to say, “My child will NOT be like that.”  Famous last words.  I’m pretty sure God laughs about that a lot.

A few weeks ago, I was reading Kohler Created, and Jessica had made Veggie-Stuffed Squash Boats.  I loved the idea of serving the spaghetti squash in the shell.  Why had I never thought of this before?

Now, spaghetti squash has a little bit of a different texture than noodles.  So I like to make it into a lasagna-type meal. 

IMG_1408

Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Boats (serves 4)

Ingredients:

  • 2 small spaghetti squash (you could also use one really large one—but then you wouldn’t have the cute boats.)
  • olive oil (just enough to drizzle)
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 medium yellow onion
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1 lb. ground beef, turkey, or sausage
  • 1 jar of spaghetti sauce of your choice (I used a chunky garden variety)
  • Light mozzarella and parmesan cheese

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Slice squash in half lengthwise.  Scoop out seeds and “guts”.  Rub a little EVOO on the squash (insides) and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Place the squash on a baking sheet (cut side down).  Roast at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until the skins are soft enough for you to pierce them easily with a fork.  Set aside. 

While the squash bakes, heat about a tsp. of EVOO in a saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add diced onion.  Sauté 3-4 minutes.  Add garlic.  Cook garlic 1 minute.  Add meat.  Cook until well-browned.  (I use extra lean meat so it doesn’t need to be drained.)  Add spaghetti sauce.  Bring to a boil, then simmer until squash is fully cooked.

Let squash rest about 5 minutes after you remove it from the oven.  Then, using a fork, rake the insides.  They will come out in stringy pieces, sort of like pasta.  Rake all 4 halves.  And don’t toss out the shells—remember these are going to be your serving bowls!

Now, it’s time to make the boats, lasagna style.  Each of the 4 boats should have these layers: squash, sauce, tsp. mozzarella, tsp. parmesan.  Repeat with another layer of each.  Then serve!

IMG_1410

This is great comfort food: hot, ooey-gooey, and melty.  Yummmmm.  What a delicious way to eat your veggies.

4 comments:

  1. YUM YUM! I will have to try this trick. I absolutely love spaghetti squash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy even for adults! I will have to try this - very interesting concept that sounds very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh em gee... this is BRILLIANT!!! We are huge fans of spaghetti squash in our family, even my picky toddler eats it. I can't believe I never thought of this!!! SO MAKING THIS TONIGHT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you like the idea! Hope it goes over we'll. Isn't spaghetti squash brilliant?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!