Friday, June 29, 2012

Heat Wave!

Hello from 100+ degree temps!  Yep, that’s right, here in South Carolina, we are pushing 106 today (110 heat index)!  It’s pretty crazy to be experiencing these temperatures in June.  Usually this is more like July weather! 

Summer brings the heat, but it also brings lots of fun outdoor activities.  Check out what I got:

IMG_3913

IMG_3916

a bike! 

I’ve actually been wanting a bike for a while.  Since I posted a picture of me on my new bike on my Facebook page, I have gotten a lot of questions about whether I am thinking about doing a triathlon.  To tell you the truth… I am not sure.  I don’t know if I am ready.  But I am thinking about it.  I have been doing a lot of swimming lately, which I have really enjoyed. It’s something to think about!  For now… I just want to enjoy riding!  You really don’t notice the heat when the wind is blowing around you on a bike.  The only down side is… if you haven’t sat on a bike in 20 years—your butt has to be broken in.  :/

Speaking of swimming, this morning I was able to do my lap swim outdoors for a change. 

photo (15)

(Note: that’s not my stuff by the pool there.  I don’t use any special equipment like kickboards, fins, snorkels, or those mitt things.  It’s just me, the swim cap, and goggles.)

It was nice during the rest breaks to be outside in the sunshine!  I’ve been swimming at our Aquatic Center, which is indoors, but this morning I did my laps at the gym’s outdoor pool.  The only part I didn’t like was how much shallower the pool outside is.  I don’t know why that bothered me.  Weird.  I guess I like swimming in deeper water.  And I never thought I would say it, but I like the feel of the cold pool.  (At the aquatic center, there is a warm pool which is used for family swim and water aerobics, and there is a cold pool used for swim team and lap swim.)

Lately, I have been trying to build up my speed and endurance while swimming.  I’ve been watching YouTube videos to learn better swimming techniques.  You really can learn anything on YouTube!  Here are some of the ones I have watched recently:

It may make me a total dork, but I love watching that video.  I hope one day I can learn how to do Total Immersion Freestyle.  Doesn’t it look so peaceful and smooth?

In this next video, he breaks down some of what happens in TI Freestyle.

My favorite swimming stroke has always been Breaststroke, but I think I haven’t always been doing it perfectly.  I am working on my form.

So there you have it… a look at what I’ve been doing lately. 

Readers: Do you like to swim?  What’s your favorite place to swim?  Do you have a favorite stroke?

6 comments:

  1. Love the new bike! I'd love to get one once I finish school, and ya know, have an income. Have fun with it!
    Thanks for the YouTube videos. I love to swim, but I have a feeling that I could use a few pointers on technique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to pretend like I'm a good swimmer! Both my boys are on swim team so I pretend that I'm good like them. I'm in Lexington, SC, so we've got to be (at least) state neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would look at it this way... If your kids are good swimmers, then they MUSThave inherited it from you! I mean how else could you explain it?! ;) Lexington, huh? We are neighbors! We are actually heading down that way for the 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My bike was not that expensive. $100 at Academy sports! It's not a high tech racing bike by any means. Just a fun bike!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you taking your new bike to the beach?  Such a perfect place to get out and ride it in this heat wave we're having - look at you being so active!  I'm jealous since I sit behind a desk all day!  :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bike Liz!  I haven't been swimming in a long time.  I may have to come up there and go with you sometime this summer.  Lookin' good doing all of your fun activities Liz!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!