Monday, June 25, 2012

A Day of Eats and Accomplishments

It’s Monday again!  The weekends always seem to pass by so quickly.  And on that note… the summer seems to be passing by extremely quickly!  :(  Boo.  I love my job.  But summer is just so nice.

Today was a pretty busy day in the Confessions house.  This morning, I got up early to get Sadie off to school.  She didn’t get to go all last week and she really missed her friends and her teacher.  She was so excited to go today!  Once I dropped her off, I came home to make breakfast and coffee, and to prepare my grocery list.

IMG_3754-001

IMG_3757-001

Breakfast was an egg-and-spinach scramble with almonds on the side.  Nom… have you tried this out yet?  It’s seriously a power breakfast.  While I ate, I planned out my grocery list.  This involved looking at a few websites like Nom Nom Paleo and Everyday Paleo.  I’ve spent the past few nights looking at recipes and thinking about what we might eat this week. 

Then I hit the stores.  I had to visit 2 stores today: Harris Teeter and Earth Fare.  I did most of our shopping at HT, but I had to get some Kombucha at Earth Fare.  (Harris Teeter doesn’t sell it.)  I really don’t drink soda.  Most of the time, I drink water.  But occasionally I need something different, and Kombucha does the trick: fizzy, tart, and refreshing.

By the time all the shopping was finished, it was lunchtime.

IMG_3761

Leftover chicken, watermelon, carrots, and Sunbutter for carrot-dipping.

IMG_3760

Then I did something amazing.  I made mayo.  I attempted this once before (prior to owning a food processor), but it didn’t work.  I got a sauce instead.  But now I am the proud owner of a food processor, and I made this amazing light, silky mayo. 

IMG_3763

IMG_3764

IMG_3765

Can you believe oil and an egg turn into this?

IMG_3767

IMG_3770

(Yes.  My mayo is stored in a holiday jar.  Note to self: get some plain, clear jars.)

Want to make your own mayo?  Click here to find out how to make it yourself.

And this mayo made my lettuce wraps extra delicious tonight. 

IMG_3796 \

IMG_3799

I’m not the only one who did something amazing today… check out what Miss Sadie did for the first time today…

IMG_3772 IMG_3773

IMG_3774

IMG_3777 IMG_3778

IMG_3779 IMG_3782

IMG_3780 

Another proud mama moment.

A couple of notes to the readers:

I did more photo editing tonight than I usually do.  I love editing, but I’ve gotten lazy about doing it lately.  How did you like tonight’s food photos?

Also… did you notice the new header?  What do you think?

9 comments:

  1. I love the new header and it seems to load faster too!!!!  I noticed your signature on your photos as well. I did a few of mine in the past but with the new editing tools im learning to use, I have to figure out me a style . ;
    )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is loading a little faster. I'm not totally happy with it... we will see what happens. Yes, sometimes I take the time to watermark my photos if I have taken time to edit. Most times there is no way anyone would swipe them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new header! Love the pictures of precious Sadie too. I think the editing is great. Miss you, can't wait to see you Thursday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristi KriskreationsJune 26, 2012 at 11:09 AM

    Liz, I came across another great Paleo book a few days ago.  I was looking for information on how to fuel endurance athletics on a Paleo lifestyle, and I found a book written by a Paleo Iron(wo)man names Nell Stephenson.  It's called "Paleoista."  She is SUPER strict Paleo...but has some fun stories, great  recipes, and her book is written with a diva flair. Her website is www.paleoista.com.  Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really is amazing how simple mayo is. I remember making it for the first time for one of my prep courses (part of my nutrition degree) and being amazed that I could turn egg and oil into a tasty spread!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, thanks for sharing! I think I want to buy It Starts With Food too! Have you seen that one?

    ReplyDelete
  7. But without all the extra junk that you can't even pronounce on the ingredient list! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I meant to tell you I liked the new look up top! Fun to change things up every so often, right? And your pics were cool, proud of your accomplishment on making homemade mayo... And also of my sweet niece Sadie going off the diving board! ;) Hopefully she'll be ready to dive off the deep end diving board at the pool next week on the 4th! Kiss her for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! She is very proud of herself!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!