Sunday, May 15, 2011

Storm Clean-Up, Carowinds, and Easy Eating

How was your weekend?  Ours was full of food and family time.  Two of my favorite things!

Remember the big storm from last week?  Well, yesterday ended up being “clean-up day.”  Ryan had borrowed a chain saw and was ready to be cutting limbs all day, but during the midmorning hours, my neighbor texted me that she was sending “her tree man” over when he finished with her yard.  Talk about an unexpected present!  Unfortunately, our tree in the front yard was too damaged to save, so we had to cut it down.  But our trees in the back yard only needed pruning.  Take a look at the pile of branches/leaves in front of our house!

100_7931

100_7932

Wild, huh?  Boy, does the city have their work cut out for them!  Every house on our street has a pile of branches as big as this one! 

100_7933

Last night we enjoyed noodle bowls with edamame, broccoli, and chicken. 

100_7926

I love making this.  It’s just as good as ordering Chinese takeout, but way healthier!

Today, we decided the weather was perfect for a quick afternoon trip to Carowinds. 

100_7962

100_7939 

100_7940

100_7945

100_7951

100_7954

100_7961

No big Roller Coasters for us today… just the kiddie rides.  Ryan and I are planning an “adult day” at Carowinds soon, though.  It’s fun to go ride all the scary rides!

I’m really looking forward to summer vacation starting soon.  I am looking forward to having more time to cook (and clean!).  Tonight I was able to cook one of my favorite meals: chili.  I made a nice big pot so that we could have leftovers this week.  :)  I used a version of this recipe, but I used fresh onion tonight, and I added extra Cayenne Pepper. 

100_7966

100_7967

I know soups and chilis are more “winter meals,” but I love them just as much in the summer!  I’m weird, I know!

Goodnight, all!  Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. We eat comfort food all year your, who doesn't need some comfort once in a while and sometimes we can only get it from out food.
    Enjoyed your post today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you through Foodbuzz. It was fun reading about things that remind me of growing up in NC. I moved to Winston-Salem when I was 10 and still have family there. In fact, I'll be visiting this summer.

    Your newest follower,
    Denise @ Creative Kitchen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!