Tuesday, April 19, 2011

What Would YOU Make with a Cardboard Box?

Guess what… I got my hair did!  Wanna see?

Here’s the work in progress…

100_7603

and the finished product.  I decided to go a little lighter with some highlights.  Now that it’s spring, I thought it was time to lighten up!

100_7617

It looks like I am standing in the doorway of Heaven or something here, doesn’t it?

100_7619

Thank you, Salon Namaan!

Now… any guesses what I made with the cardboard box???

If you guessed it was a light box, you were right!  I have been wanting to make one forever to help me take better food pictures, and today I finally had a few minutes to do it.

100_7609

I took a box.  I cut a big hole in the top and on the right and left side, leaving the front open.  I covered the holes with white tissue paper.  Then I attached three lamps.  The tissue helps to diffuse the light so it looks natural. 

I wanted to try out a test shot right away, so I used this nice, ripe tomato for my first photo in the light box.

100_7606

100_7608

I used 60-watt daylight bulbs.  I think I may try some brighter bulbs later on, just to see which “formula” yields the best results.

But here are a few dinner pics, so you can see the light box in action.

100_7625

100_7627

Some fabulous potatoes from Trader Joe’s.  They are sooooooo good! (And this is my favorite dinner photo! Completely un-edited!)

100_7629

100_7630

100_7631

100_7633

Props to the hubby, who made this meal when I was on the way home from teaching Zumba!  Potatoes and crispy Tilapia!

I think I need to get some nice white and black fabric for the background.  And maybe some other fun backgrounds.  I’ve got a lot of food photography stuff to learn—I am no no means a pro at all!  But I have a great photographer cousin, who has been sending me helpful tips!  (You should check out his blog, Occasional Glimpses to see some of his wonderful photographs!)

OK, friends!  Have a great night!

1 comment:

  1. Love your light box! Very cool and I'll be anxious to see all the photos you take as well as your change of backgrounds...have fun being creative with food & photography!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!