Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Potpourri Platter, Anyone?

We have a local restaurant called the White Horse.  It’s really well-known for this sandwich called “Charlie O’Chicken.”  (Which, oddly enough, is made with turkey… go figure.)  However, one of my favorite things about the White Horse was this fabulous menu item called the “Potpourri Platter.”  Basically, it was just an assortment of goodies… chicken salad, celery and carrots, cheese cubes, pickles… you never really knew what goodies might be on your plate when the server set it down before you. 

Well, I’ve been trying to do a better job of packing my lunches so that I don’t have to buy them from the cafeteria.  The meals there aren’t bad… but they aren’t always the healthiest choices.  However, I have this problem where I pack something for lunch… and then when it’s lunchtime, I no longer want to eat whatever I brought.  Does that ever happen to you?

This morning, I had an idea.  Why not start packing “Potpourri Platters” for myself for lunch?  My friend Mandy says she likes to have a lot of “things” for lunch.  And I think that’s the beauty of the Potpourri Platter.  You get to sample a whole bunch of goodies.

You know what?  This was one of the best lunches I have had in a long time! 

100_7407

100_7408

Celery sticks (sounds like diet food but it’s one of my favorite raw veggies), cucumber-dill dip (made with light sour cream), 2% cottage cheese (honestly… I LOVE cottage cheese), pickles, and turkey slices.  YUM!  And it was very low in the points values, too. 

I also have been drinking a lot of water and it makes me feel so much better.  Every time I make an effort to drink more water, I can tell a difference in how I feel.  WHY do I fall off the wagon???  I flavor my water with lemon and mint.  It’s so refreshing!

So I thought I would share one other food find that I am loving… Puffins Cereal.  It’s my new favorite. 

100_7405

100_7403

100_7404

It makes a great pre-workout snack, especially when you add in some fresh fruit.

Tonight after Zumba, I was a lucky girl.  I took longer to get home than I thought, so hubby made dinner for me!  Go hubby! 

100_7411

100_7412

100_7413

100_7415

Salmon, Trader Joe’s potatoes, and edamame.  I wish you guys could watch Sadie devour edamame.  She LOVES to eat it from the pods.  Like mother, like daughter, I guess!

 

Reader Question:

So… what do you do for lunch?  What are your “go-to” foods for lunches on the go?  Or do you buy your lunch? 

2 comments:

  1. I am a "take your lunch to work" girl. My lunch choices mainly consist of 2 items...
    1) Salads (I make about five on Sunday and eat them throughout the week), sauteed or grilled chicken, and a string cheese.

    or

    2) Lettuce wraps. I use iceburg because I like the crunch and I fill them with either chicken salad or grilled chicken with cheese and veggies.

    Both are yummy and low carb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "One Item" I try to have purchased at the start of each week so I can snack on them at work is Hummus and raw veggies (bell peppers cut up, baby carrots, etc.). It's so refreshing and light and the Hummus gives me something to enjoy while I'm getting my veggies. As for the main portion of my lunches at work, I can get bored easily, too...so sometimes it switches between homemade salads to chicken salad on flatbread to leftovers...I'm not the best at doing leftovers, though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!