Sunday, April 24, 2011

Bunny Cake and Egg Hunts

Happy Easter!

We just got home tonight from our trip to Greenville.  And reality is sinking in… I’ve got to go back to work tomorrow.  I’m having a hard time accepting it.  I know once I get there, it will be great.  But tonight I’m wishing for one more day.  Do you ever notice that no matter how much vacation time we get, it’s never enough???

This morning, we got all dressed up in our Easter finest and headed to church.  Getting 8 people (7 adults, one child) out the door to make it to the 8:45 service was no simple feat.  I was feeling very rushed and stressed this morning as we headed to church.  But once I was there, I was able to relax and enjoy the morning message.  My parents’ church (formerly my church) does “A Time With Children” as a part of the worship service.  I was kind of expecting the children’s message to be something along the lines of, “Easter is not about the Easter Bunny.  It’s really about Jesus.”  However, I was surprised to learn that bunnies, chicks, eggs, and candy DO actually have some significance! 

  • Baby bunnies and chicks: symbolize new life
  • Eggs: symbolize hope and faith (the mother bird sits on the eggs with hope and faith that they will hatch)
  • Candy: symbolizes giving to one another, expecting nothing in return

I thought that was very interesting and I wanted to share it with all of you.

After church, we posed for a few pictures, and then got ready for our Easter meal. 

IMG_2891

IMG_2896

IMG_2902

IMG_2901

IMG_2897

My dad made an amazing ham and my mom made a delicious hash brown casserole.  It was so good.  I meant to copy the recipe to share it with you.  I forgot, but I will share it soon.  We also had some delicious deviled eggs… which are one of my favorite party foods.  You all know me and how much I love eggs.  :)

100_7747

100_7748

remember yesterday I was telling you about our Easter Traditions?  Well, one tradition is to make a Bunny Cake every year.  The bunny shape is made out of two round cakes.  We added coconut flakes this year for added “fur” on the bunny.  The cake was delicious!

100_7754

Finally, we had to have a few Easter Egg hunts around the yard before heading home.  When my sisters and I were younger, we loved the egg hunt.  Mom and Dad would put money in all the eggs and we’d all hunt for them.  There was always a prized egg that didn’t jingle… which meant it might have a $5 bill in it.  We all tried to find that one!  There was no money in there eggs, but it was fun watching Sadie hunt for them!

100_7755

100_7756

100_7759

Hope you all are having a great, relaxing Sunday evening.  For those of you on holiday tomorrow, enjoy!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!