Thursday, January 10, 2013

TGIT, Foodie Find, and Chili Beef with "Rice"

TGIT (Thank Goodness It's Thursday)! I love Thursdays...you are over the work week "hump," and I also teach my Zumba class tonight! Woo hoo!

I wanted to share a quick "foodie find" with you all. If you follow me on Facebook, you may have seen that I have posted some pictures of Moroccan Dipping Sauce this week. Friends, this sauce is amazing. It is tangy and full of flavor and everything tastes good with it. Cucumbers, bell peppers, tomatoes, chicken... pretty much everything I dipped into it became gold. So, I bet you are wondering, "What is this magic sauce and how can I get it?"

Here is a link to the recipe. I used cilantro in mine because I had some on hand already, but I bet the parsley option would be just as delicious. This would make a wonderful salad dressing- but chicken dipped into it is soooooo good. (Or you can just skip the dipping and pour it over everything on your plate-- which is what I did here.)

 

And now, I have a quick recipe to share with you. On Tuesday night, I taught my Zumba class, and afterwards, I was pretty tired (and hungry!) I knew I had this chicken tortilla soup at home in the fridge, but I had already eaten it for lunch and just didn't want to eat it again, you know? This is one of those times that I would have considered picking up takeout. However, since I am participating in Eat in Month, I told myself to go home and try to come up with something quick.

What could I make...what could I make?

I had just received my weekly produce via Lettuce Carry and I knew I had a head of cauliflower in the fridge... So I knew I could make more "rice." But what could I eat WITH the cauliflower rice?

And chili beef was born.

This was very simple and I was able to pull together this meal in 30 minutes. I was proud of myself for: not picking up takeout, creating a healthy meal (with LOTS of veggies), and sticking with Whole 30!

Chili Beef with Cauliflower Rice

Ingredients:

For Beef

  • 1/2 large (or 1 small) diced onion
  • 1/2 bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1 lb. lean ground beef
  • 1 cup diced tomatoes
  • 1 T. Ground cumin
  • 1-2 T. Chopped fresh cilantro
  • Dash of ground cayenne pepper
  • Dash of garlic powder

For Rice

  • 1 T. Coconut Oil
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1 head of cauliflower florets, shredded in a food processor
  • 1 cup beef stock
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:

First, brown ground beef in a skillet along with the onions and peppers. When beef is cooked through and the veggies have softened, add the red pepper, cumin, garlic powder, and salt/pepper. Cook until herbs ar fragrant. Then add the canned diced tomatoes. Stir to combine and let the mixture cook for a couple of minutes, until tomatoes are warmed through. Add cilantro and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low and cover to keep the mixture warm, stirring occasionally.

In another skillet, melt coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic clove and cook for about 20 seconds. Add the riced cauliflower and cook for about 4-5 minutes, just until softened. Stir often so it doesn't burn! Add the cup of beef broth and salt/pepper to taste. Cook until most liquid is absorbed.

Serve with rice on the bottom and beef mixture on top. Garnish with a sprig of fresh cilantro!

Note: this rice recipe was adapted slickly from PaleOMG.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!