Friday, October 12, 2012

Real Women Sweat

Hey friends.  I bet you thought I forgot about you.  I didn’t.  One of these days soon I will be blogging regularly again.  I’ve been trying to really throw myself into my new job and try to learn as much as I can.  It’s been crazy busy, but I love it. 

I bet you thought I was going to share a recipe.  Nope, not today.  Today I want to talk about real women.

IMG_4391

Last Saturday, I woke up a little earlier than usual.  5:15 a.m., to be exact.  Sounds crazy, but it was all for a good cause.

Evernote Camera Roll 20121012 161534

I was up to walk with a group of friends in the Susan G. Komen 5K in Uptown Charlotte.  It’s kind of weird to be driving down empty streets at 6 a.m. and then happen upon a whole village of people wearing pink.  Pink hair ribbons, shirts, unitards, tutus, feather boas… all pink. 

Evernote Camera Roll 20121012 161521

It reminded me of the weekend that my sister Adrienne and I walked in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer.  The Susan G. Komen walk was pretty amazing.  Our company was dance-walking.  If you want to see what dance-walking is, take a look at our video we made.

 

We carried a big speaker and an ipod full of great dance-worthy tunes.  We gathered quite the crowd to walk with us, and we all got to watch the sunrise.

Evernote Camera Roll 20121012 161549

Evernote Camera Roll 20121012 161644

Everyone was singing along and smiling.  What was most amazing about it was the feeling amongst all of the walkers.  Most people were walking in teams in honor of friends or family, or in memory of friends or family.  Even more amazing than that was the amount of survivors.  Some were still going through treatments.  It made me think about how often we complain  about trivial things.  As I was getting to the end of the race, there was a woman in front of me who had lost her hair.  We were playing the song, “I will Survive!”  She was just belting out the lyrics and fist-pumping.  It made me think, “What do we really have to complain about?”

All this week, our company has been fundraising for a local organization, Pretty in Pink, who provide mammograms and support for under-insured and uninsured women.  They also support women who have been diagnosed with financial help.  They are a great organization.  It’s been a pleasure to dance in the name of ending this terrible disease!

IMG_4389

So… if you’re healthy, be a real woman.  Real women sweat. Make the most of your health!

IMG_4393 

Disclaimer: I realize I talked mostly about women here, but I want to point out that men can and do get breast cancer!  It’s not just a women’s disease!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great time and a great cause!  You mentioned a video--is there a link to it?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!