Monday, September 17, 2012

Easiest Vegetable Soup + Blogger Eats

Happy Monday!  I hope all of you had a wonderful weekend!  We did.  We enjoyed lots of family time and even got some housework done!  Which made me remember that way back in the spring, I vowed to do better about keeping the house clean.  I even pinned a schedule on Pinterest, hoping to try and follow this.  We did it for about a week or so, but then a busy week hit and… Fail.  Now we are vowing it again.

Well, I may not be the best housekeeper in the world, but I did cook a little. 

As soon as fall starts to approach, I start thinking about things like…

boots

leaves

cocoa

soup

chili

apples

Wassail from Windy Hill Orchard

pumpkin

pumpkin spice lattes from Starbucks

stews

blankets

long sleeves

candles

The list goes on and on.  I am always sad when summer ends… but once fall begins to come around, I remember how much I love this time of year, when everything cools down and the fall colors start to appear in nature. 

Yesterday was sort-of a gray day, so I felt like making soup.  This is the easiest soup to make.  This is the soup recipe I give to my friends who swear they cannot cook anything.  So if you’re one of those people who always goes for the complex recipes with many steps… I can tell you this soup probably isn’t your thing. 

IMG_4309

 

Easiest Vegetable-Beef Soup

I make this soup almost every 2nd or 3rd week in the fall and winter.  It’s so simple, but it is filling and tasty.  I like to make a big batch on Sunday night and then eat it for lunches or an easy dinner during the week.  Back before I was (mostly) Paleo, I woulod have paired it with a grilled cheese.  Now I pair it with apple slices or some extra veggies.  Maybe even a slice of quiche!  One batch makes about 5-6 servings, but it really depends on how big your bowls are! 

 

IMG_4310

Ingredients:

1 lb. lean ground beef

1 onion, diced

2-3 cups of frozen, cut-up veggies (I use about 1/2 a bag of those frozen soup veggies with beans, corn, peas, and carrots—but you coulod certainly use fresh—whatever you have on hand)

2 cups frozen cut okra (again—I am sure fresh would also be great)

1 12-oz. can V-8 or Vegetable Juice

1 32-oz. carton chicken or vegetable broth

salt, pepper, bay leaves, or other seasoning

Preparation:

Brown ground beef with chopped onion.  When beef is browned, drain fat if needed.  (Depends on how lean the beef is.)  Add chicken broth and V8 to the pot.  Mix with a spoon.  Add frozen veggies.  Mix again.  Add seasonings.  Bring to a boil.  Then reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15-20 more minutes.  Serve hot with your favorite soup sides!

IMG_4311

Seriously, I told you it was easy, right?

Yay for pre-prepared lunches this week!

Speaking of preparing meals in advance… last night I tried out this recipe from PaleOMG: Tex-Mex Hash Breakfast Casserole!  I love a breakfast hash, that is for sure.  So as soon as I saw this recipe, I knew I had to try it out. 

IMG_4320

It turned out amazing!  It is so filling and hearty, and I love anything spicy in the morning.  I’d bring tacos to work for breakfast if I didn’t think I would get some crazy looks.  But I WILL take this to work. 

Stop over at PaleOMG! for the recipe!

Alright, friends… hope you have a great week!  For those of you who are having a rainy week (like us!), stay dry!

1 comment:

  1. Yum, yum. I always love that soup... Think I will make it this weekend to have for lunch next week. And will try the breakfast recipe too! Miss you sis and hope you had a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!