Thursday, September 13, 2012

Almost Burned (But Not Quite!) Turkey, Broccoli, and Cheddar Frittata

Happy Thursday!  Or shall we say, “Friday Eve?”  I’m feeling ready for the weekend!  Something strange happened this week… I think Fall arrived!  Seriously, the weather took quite a change.  It’s been in the 50s/60s in the morning!   I have to say that I am sad that the pool days of summer are over… they are ending just as Sadie was really getting GREAT with her swimming.  We are going to have to make a special effort to get her to the indoor pool so that she will not forget everything she has learned. 

However, there are so many things that I love about Fall.  I’m getting so excited to break out the boots soon! And making things with pumpkin!  And apples are in season! 

You can expect to see some fall-related posts coming soon.  But for now, let’s have some breakfast. 

You all know I love breakfast.

And eggs.

The frittata has become a good friend to me.

Seriously, if you’ve never made one, it’s so easy!  You can add just about anything you want.  It’s cheap.  It’s a great way to use up leftovers.  And it’s quick!  This frittata came to be because of all those reasons.  I needed to use up some leftover veggies and I also wanted to pre-make some breakfasts for the week.  And I ALMOST ruined it.  But not quite.

Turkey, Broccoli, and Cheddar Frittata

IMG_4302

IMG_4303

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp EVOO

1 onion, diced

3/4 cup chopped turkey slices (amount isn’t really that important—anything will work)

1 cup of cooked broccoli florets

1/2 cup shredded cheddar

5 eggs, whisked

salt, pepper

 

Preparation:

Heat oil in an small oven-proof skillet over medium heat on the stove.  Add diced onion.  Saute until soft.  Then add turkey and broccoli.  Heat until warmed through.  Reduce heat to medium-low.  Spread the veggie and turkey mixture evenly over the bottom of the skillet.  Add some salt and pepper (to taste) to the eggs.  Add cheddar to the eggs and pour evenly over the turkey and veggies.  Allow to cook for a few minutes, until the sides are beginning to thicken.  Then put the skillet into the oven.  Broil for a few minutes until the to is lightly browned.  Serve hot, or save to eat throughout the week. 

A frittata of this size will make enough for about 3 breakfasts.  I think it is great with fruit, or with some avocado or even almonds. 

IMG_4305

Sooo… how did I almost ruin this breakfast?  I actually decided MID-BROIL that I wanted to go for a bike ride.  I was upstairs chaging, and then I came back down, I thought, “Oh no!  My frittata!”  I was sure it would be ruined.  But lucky for me, I caught it JUST in time.  It was almost too brown on top.  But it was my lucky day.  :) 

IMG_4306

Breakfast saved.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!