Monday, May 21, 2012

Spice It Up

Well, I have good news for you!  Monday is over!  :)  Actually, I had a really good day.  Great day at school, taught a Zumba class, and made some yummy chili!

Whole30 Update:

23 days down… 7 to go!  Still feeling, sleeping, and eating great!  I’ve been telling people lately that while I thought this would be the hardest thing I have ever done, it’s actually been much easier that I would have imagined.  I have also been thinking about what I will do once this is over.  What changes will I make?  What will I continue to do?  I think the one thing I am missing is dairy.  Not all dairy—but some specific items like Greek yogurt.  I think I may add some yogurt back in to see how I react to that.  I also have a deep love for frozen yogurt, and I may have to indulge from time to time now that we have a fro-yo place in our town.  I think for now I am going to stay away from the grains and also keep limiting/staying away from sugar.  I am still having some sugar cravings from time to time, so I want to see if those subside over a little more time. 

On to the food!

It seems like I have been on a spicy kick! 

Yesterday, I had a delicious taco salad!

IMG_3503

IMG_3504

IMG_3506

In the mix:

  • romaine lettuce
  • grass-fed beef browned with basil, garlic, oregano, parsley, cumin, red pepper, salt, and pepper
  • roma tomatoes
  • sauteed onions
  • avocado

(I wish I’d had salsa in the fridge—it would have made it extra tasty.  But it was still delish!

 

Tonight: Paleo Turkey Chili

IMG_3513

IMG_3510

Ingredients:

  • 1 Tbsp. EVOO
  • 1 lb. organic ground turkey
  • 1 chopped yellow onion
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • spices: cumin, red pepper, basil, oregano, salt, pepper
  • 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes

Prep:

Heat EVOO over medium-high heat.  Brown turkey and onions together until cooked through.  Add garlic and cook about 2 minutes, or until fragrant.  Add spices and cook 30 seconds-1 minute.  Add tomatoes and bring to a boil.  Reduce to low and simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes.

Enjoy! 

(By the way, I know chili is typically a cold-weather food, but I eat it year-round!)

 

Coming Up: Lately, I have had a lot of people ask me, “You can’t have grains.  You can’t have dairy.  You can’t have sugar.  What CAN you eat?!”  So I think I am going to do a “What Does a Day of Whole30 Eating Look Like?”  I’ll be documenting all of my eats tomorrow and sharing it all with you. 

Have a great week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!