Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mini Vacation and Fancy Tuna

Hello, everyone!  I have missed talking to all of you!  I’ve been away for over a week, which is a long time!  Last week, the family and I packed up our things and headed out for a mini-vacation…

image

(Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge, Charleston, SC)

…to the beach!

We had a wonderful weekend.  One of the highlights was walking the “big bridge.”  My sisters and I walked/ran 4 miles on Friday morning.  The weather was amazing!

image

Did I mention that my sweet little girl walked TWO MILES?  She’s a little rock star.

image

Afterwards, we hit the sand.  Some of us made “sand angels.”  Some of us just relaxed on the beach.  It made me excited for summer vacation!

 image

image

image

I took my computer with every intention of blogging from the beach house at night, but I actually NEVER took the computer out of the bag!  That is unheard of, for me.  I wasn’t totally unplugged… I did have my iphone, and if you follow me on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, then you probably got a few peeks at our weekend!  (If you want to follow me, there are links on the right side of the page to find me on all 3 social networks!)

So anyway… no blogging all weekend.

This weekend was a big challenge for me, since I am following the Whole30 plan, and I am the only one in my family.  I knew there would be a lot of NON-Whole30 foods around, and I also anticipated that it would be a challenge to turn down some of those things.  (i.e. potato chips!)  However, I am proud to say that I MADE IT!  This is a first for me.  Normally, vacations have been a time for an eating free-for-all!  It feels good to know that, even though it is hard and takes willpower, I can do it!  :)  I am on Day 17 and I am feeling great

image

(Mocktail: Low sodium V8, hot sauce, pepper, celery, and green olives.)

I wanted to share some of my latest eats that have been especially delicious!

1.  Fancy Tuna: We’ve all had tuna salad before, but I’ve never had tuna salad like this before.  I made my own mayo to use in this tuna salad, which was a new adventure for me.  Then I combined tuna, homemade mayo, mustard, diced apple, green onion, chopped almonds, and diced celery.  Delicious!  I never would have thought that tuna and apple would taste good together, but they DO!  If you want to see how to make this yourself, check out this post for directions from Melissa Joulwan.  She is one of my newest favorite bloggers.  Into the Google Reader list she goes! 

IMG_3486

IMG_3485

(Also pictured: sauteed green beans!  Also delicious and VERY easy!  I’ll share tomorrow.  Only 2 ingredients and you can even use frozen beans!)

By the way—if you want to make your own mayo—see this post for directions!

2.  Sweet Potato, Sausage, and Apple Hash: combine diced sweet potato, sweet onion, bell pepper, sausage, and apple.  I sauteed this in coconut oil until the sweet potato was cooked through.  YUM!  Very filling, and the flavors blended very well.  I am not crazy about sweet potatoes, but I thought I would try this out anyway, and I am so glad I did! 

IMG_3479

IMG_3481

Tomorrow I am making pan-fried chicken.  Can. Not. Wait!  Come back and see me and see how delicious it turns out!

6 comments:

  1. Katherine CrawfordMay 16, 2012 at 7:18 AM

    You and your sisters haven't changed a bit! Love the photos, and glad you got to Charleston. Am checking out your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Charleston! Such a unique place. Funny, I think you look exactly the same, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photos from last weekend - what a fun time!  And definitely was excited and interested to read about the homemade mayo - would love to try that sometime!  Still supporting you and your efforts with the Whole30 challenge and all your success in doing it around a house full of people wanting to eat both healthy/and slightly unhealthy (maybe at times?) food during a mini-vaca - it's good to stay healthy on vacations - you may have just started a new trend! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ready for the next beach trip for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to make the hash, sounds yummy! Beach was awesome... Ready for the next trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow really amazing  photograph 

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!