Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Weekend in Lake Lure

It’s Tuesday!  I hope your week is off to a great start! 

We were away for the weekend, so I haven’t posted in a few days.  I can’t wait to tell you about our trip to Lake Lure!  Some friends of ours won a weekend away and invited us along.  I had never been to Lake Lure, which is strange, because it’s not very far from Charlotte. 

We made a little dinner stop on the way…

IMG_3297

I’ve always heard great things about Bridges Barbecue in Shelby, but I have never been.  Since we were passing right by, it was the perfect opportunity!  We had to pose by the sign… after all, we ARE Bridges… Interestingly, my husband’s dad grew up not far away from there.  But as far as we know, we’re not related.  :)

IMG_3298

The inside was really cool—modern  and retro at the same time.

I went for the BBQ Plate.  I wanted to try the chopped BBQ and the slaw, which is vinegar-based, not mayo-based.  (I am not a fan of mayo-based slaw.)

IMG_3299

Plus, we had to try the onion rings and the hushpuppies because they are highly recommended!

IMG_3300

IMG_3301

Oh yum.

IMG_3304 

I did like the slaw.  It is crunchy and tangy—and doesn’t have the same flavor as “traditional” slaw.  This was much better.

Soon we arrived at our weekend home and it was so nice!  Very roomy and clean.  A perfect place to relax for the weekend!

IMG_3314

IMG_3315

IMG_3323

On Saturday, we spent some time in Chimney Rock…

 photo (1)

photo (4)

photo (2)

photo (3)

and then we had lunch at a restaurant overlooking Lake Lure.  What a view! 

photo (5)

We enjoyed many great weekend eats, and I think I am going to be able to share this delicious Monkey Bread recipe with you soon that a friend of mine made.  It was soooooo good! 

 IMG_3308

I also made two batches of Mimi's Christmas Breakfast for us to enjoy.

IMG_3311

It was a wonderful relaxing weekend with friends and my only wish was that it would have been longer!

5 comments:

  1. I grew up in Rutherfordton and spent many weekends on Lake Lure! Makes me homesick. Very beautiful and relaxing. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like it was a great weekend!  The food looked delicious - and boy am I fan of hushpuppies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fabulous weekend! Hope you got to visit some of the Dirty Dancing sites. Keep me posted if y'all are ever in the Asheville-Hendersonville-Brevard area. I'd love to catch up over a cup of coffee or lunch!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!