Sunday, April 29, 2012

Public Declaration Time: I’m Doing the Whole30!

I’ve been away a few days.  I missed you and blogging!  I’ve been doing some thinking.  I know… dangerous, right? ;)

IMG_3395 

But in all seriousness… I’ve been thinking about food.  Yes, I know that is probably not that surprising either, seeing as how this blog has always been food-content-heavy.  That is not going to change.  But for now, the food is.

If you’ve been following for a while, you know I have been on-and-off of Weight Watchers for the better part of… I don’t know?  8 years?  Weight Watchers has really helped me.  In 2009, I lost over 30 pounds and have kept off most of it.  But for the past 2 years, I’ve just been stuck.  I’ll try really hard for a month, then derail, crash, and burn.  Then I start again.  I am sure there are others out there with similar stories.  But lately, I have been thinking about the food changes I have made. 

The really awesome thing about WW for me was being able to still eat the foods that I enjoy, but by keeping better track of it.  If you run out of points, I had to cut back.  But honestly, I still ate pretty much the same way.  I swapped out regular ingredients for light versions most of the time.  I explored some other new foods… but mostly I tried to find ways to keep my diet the same as it had always been.  Instead of candy, I swapped for Fiber One Bars—because they taste like candy bars.  Instead of ordering pizza, I made my own using healthier ingredients.  Some days I ate fast food… and I used my weekly points allowance for that.  That all worked well for a while.  But I HATE tracking my food.  But if I don’t, I eat like a crazy person.  But I also don’t want to be tracking everything I eat for the rest of my life.  I definitely think that I became more aware of what I was eating.  But recently I have realized that I didn’t really make a lot of changes to the WAY I eat or how I think about food.  I’ve eaten way too much packaged/processed food.  I have boxes and jars of food that I couldn’t begin to tell you what some of the ingredients are.  Scary!

So this week, a group of friends and I decided to embark on a Whole30. 

The

 You can go here to read all about the Whole30 program, by Whole Nine.  Basically, it is similar to a Paleo Diet, with a few twists.  If you’re not familiar with Paleo, you can click here to read all about it.  It’s going to sound complicated and technical, but honestly, it basically means that you eat lots of fruits, veggies, and proteins, and you cut out foods/ingredients that may be holding you back, health-wise.

I didn’t take this decision lightly.  I read every detail about the Whole30 program, and I Googled testimonials from Bloggers out there (like me!) to see what they thought after completing 30 days of this type of clean eating.  And everything I read was overwhelmingly positive.  I couldn’t find anything negative out there!  After all… it is 30 days of just eating real food—healthy food. 

So what’s hard about it?  Of course, there is always something that you have to leave behind if you make a diet change.  For 30 days, I am giving up grains, dairy, sugar, most legumes, and all the preservatives and junk that no one needs.  It will be a challenge, I know.  But I am hoping that at the end of the 30 days, I will be changed in the ways I think about food and the way that I eat.  I am sure that there will be major cravings for some of these foods that I have ALWAYS eaten.  But I am ready for the challenge!

IMG_3393

So… I hope that you will come along for the journey!  Maybe you don’t want to actually DO the Whole30… but I would love for you to keep reading as I post my progress and how it is going over these next 30 days. 

You can expect to see easy  and tasty meals and recipes, just like always… but they’ll be much better for you.  Sound good?

Ok… let’s see what happens!

9 comments:

  1. Good luck!!  I can't wait to how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good Liz! Can't wait to hear about your experience with it. Miss u and can't wait for the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, you look amazing! I love your hair!

    Secondly, I am so excited for you. I have been on an eating plan similar to this for almost a year now to combat some health issues. I took a break from it over the Thanksgiving & Christmas holiday, but I have been back on it for the past month or so. You will be shocked at how great you feel. I will say that around week 2 you may feel cruddy as your body is detoxing from all the sugars and processed things it is used to, but once you get over that hump this eating plan is pretty awesome.

    I am sure you have all kinds of good advice and recipes on the website (I did not read the whole thing...), but I highly recommend www.elanaspantry.com for recipes, and if you're interested in baking with almond flour, I would recommend this site: http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/blanchedalmondflour5lb.aspx. 

    I know you will have some fabulous recipes, and I can't wait to hear about your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, girl! So far so good... I am on day 1.5. (I am not officially counting yesterday because I drank the wrong coconut milk-- the one with sugar-- and also my Joint Juice had sugar in it.) So I started today for realz. I am looking forward to seeing how it changes the way I feel! I'll check out this blog for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I know, I am excited about the beach but nervous about the food! UGH. You know how the fam is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and me both! I am sure it will be hard but from what everyone says, it will be worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm proud of you!  I have come to find over the past two years that not only is my work out (both cardio + weights) important to keeping off or even just maintaining my weight, but I'm finding out very quickly that it's food that makes one of the biggest differences for me and how I fluctuate and feel - so I completely agree and support your food efforts!  Sometimes we switch off on who makes dinner different weeks and although I love the weeks when David cooks, he tends to incorporate pastas more than me - and then we both feel that the weeks that I cook are a little less exciting, however I seem to feel better... the reason?  Probably the fish I cook, with a veggie or two - and a lot less carbs (in the evening).  So even though during the week I'm not making super-exciting meals sometimes, those are the mornings when I wake up and feel just a little bit better than the week before!!  Go figure - but best of luck to you on the 30 day challenge, and I look forward to reading/watching the results!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, girlie! I already see a difference in how i feel after cutting carbs and sugar for just 4 days. I have been thinking about cutting wheat for a while now and although it is hard because I ate a LOT of wheat... I think it was dragging me down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm new to your sit! found you through Facebook.!  looking forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!