Monday, December 5, 2011

Sometimes Cake is Necessary.

Do you ever have a day where cake is not only welcome but necessary?  Today was one such day for me.  Not so much the whole entire day… but just the afternoon.  The plan for this afternoon? 

1.  Get home and find fun package waiting at door.

2.  Go to the Gym.

3.  Run.

4.  Make dinner with roasted red potatoes.  (Or mashed potatoes.)

5.  Relax.

 

The actual afternoon activities?

 

1.  Get home and open package.  Realize all the contents are listed on packing slip but half of them are not in the actual box.  (Including the one item needed immediately.)

2.  Spend 2 hours on the phone with multiple customer service reps.

3.  Drive to Charlotte to get item that was supposed to be in the box. 

4.  Enjoy dinner with hubs and Sadie at The Flying Biscuit.  (Silver Lining!)

5.  Make cake.  (Because sometimes cake is necessary.)

 

IMG_1834

As a part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker program, sometimes I receive sample items to try out and provide feedback.  Recently, I was lucky to be chosen to receive Duncan Hines cake mix and a can of Comstock fruit filling.  I knew I wanted to do something with the cherry filling.  Cherry pie has always been one of my favorite desserts!  I wanted to make something using both the cake mix and the filling, so I decided on this layered cherry-cream cheese cake.

IMG_1835

Ingredients:

1 box of Duncan Hines White Cake Mix (prepare batter as directed)

1 package light cream cheese

3 Tbsp. granulated sugar

1 can Comstock Cherry Pie Filling (I think strawberry would work well, too!)

 

Prep:

Pour cake batter into two small baking dishes, equally splitting the batter.  (I used two loaf pans.)

Bake 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

IMG_1824

While baking, mix cream cheese and sugar.  Let the mixture sit at room temperature to soften.  (This helps it to be “spreadable.)

Slice the rounded top off of each cake—so that they are flat layer cakes. 

Spread cream cheese mix over top of one cake.  Top with other cake.  (Save the rounded tops to eat later at a stressful moment.)

IMG_1828

(If you’re in a hurry—it’s ok if you do a sloppy job.)

IMG_1831

Slice and serve with filling on top!

IMG_1839

IMG_1836 

Let cake cool completely.

 

Eat cake instead of writing dirty email to company who forgot your items.  (Do that tomorrow instead.)

1 comment:

  1. That's a lovely cake.
    Thanks for the procedure and ingredients.
    I will surely make one. <3
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!