Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Couscous Salad (a.k.a. Throw it All In and Mix)

Yesterday was kind of an unproductive day around here.  I started about ten different things and didn’t really ever finish anything.  Do you ever have days like that?  I had lots of plans for the day which included going to the gym, doing some paperwork, and going to the grocery store.  I did eventually get the paperwork and the grocery store chores done (although I DID have to send Ryan back to the store for two things I forgot). 

Last night, I made two things for dinner that really did not go together.  One item worked.  The other didn’t. 

First, I made southwestern egg rolls.  They were… eh… ok.  Not fabulous.  I stuffed egg roll wrappers with chicken, cabbage, corn, black beans, and salsa.  It sounded good in my head.  But… they just really didn’t have a lot of flavor.  And as luck would have it, the pictures didn’t turn out. 

I made a couscous salad to go with it.  I mentioned this salad recently when my sister Adrienne made it at the beach. 

Couscous salad

This is one of my favorite side dishes.  I started with garlic and olive oil flavored couscous.  Cook according to package directions, but when you add the couscous to the boiling water, you also add grape tomatoes, a clove of fresh, minced garlic, a few basil leaves, green onions, cucumber, and chopped onion.  No specific amounts—just however much you like.

couscous salad 2

So at least I have leftovers for lunch today.  This salad is so light and flavorful.  The veggies aren’t cooked, but because you add them to the hot couscous, they soften just a bit. 

My goals for today are to exercise, unload the dishwasher, and clean up around here.  Let’s see if I can get to all that.  :)

Oh, and here are a couple more shots of the munchkin swimming.  We took her to the pool on Sunday and she was like a little fish.  I am so proud.

100_8590

100_8588

100_8582 

Happy Tuesday!

3 comments:

  1. The salad looks good Liz- makes me want to make it soon. Actually I make it a good bit, but it never gets old. That is what I love about salads... just throw any of your favorite veggies and herbs in and it tastes so fresh and yummy! I am so proud of the little swimmer too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you posted this...I have it written down and need to make that instead of the instant rice we seem to choose so often as our 'side dish'. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO fun to experiment in the kitchen...but always feels like a total bummer when something doesn't turn out! The salad looks yummy though. Cold grain salad leftovers make the best lunches. Good luck with the to dos. And Love the pictures of your munchkin!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! It makes me so happy when I see messages from readers!